1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Here we go... God help me.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BlackRose89, Mar 6, 2014.

1. BlackRose89

BlackRose89 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2014
    First time chicken owner and dang TSC and Rural King for only selling them by the 6's lol. What the hell do I do now?!? Lol. I now have 3 Americauna pullets, 1 white leghorn pullet, 1 black sex star pullet, 1 Rhode Island Red pullet, 2 buff Orpington Pullets, 2 straight run light Brahmas, and 2 straight run silver Wyandottes. I have a feeder and watered and pine shavings and I even put a dowel rod in the box for them to perch on... Obviously a heat lamp, so now what? How do I socialize them? I got so many bc I expected to lose a few (just bc the pamphlet says dispose of dead birds properly) but if they all live or I have too many roosters from the straight run I have a home lined up. I still have to build the coop, but it's still freezing out and snow. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. clueless chic

clueless chic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2014
    NE Arkansas
    Congrats on your new babies! I have no advice as I am in the same boat...but with half your brood. I have 2 Buff Orpington and 3 "barnyard mixes". The lady said the roo was a Barred Rock and the mom was probably a Amercauna or a Wyndotte.

3. BlackRose89

Feb 4, 2014
    I was only going to get 6 but tsc didn't have buff orps and I really REALLY wanted buff orps lol. If I hadn't wanted them so bad I wouldn't have gotten the 4 straight runs to fill out my half dozen I got today, but they are massively different sizes... The first 6 (Americaunas, leghorn, red and sex star) are way bigger and were discounted at 50% off bc they were trying to move them before the next shipment came in

4. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    They don't need a perch until several weeks old but otherwise it sounds like you have all the bases covered. As far as socializing them, I will put my hand in the brooder and let them play on it and under it which they love, and just get them used to it. Sometimes I have scrambled egg on my hand which they absolutely love. When they are a few days old you can pick out one or two to carry around or let them sleep next to your neck for a while. All of my babies love getting underneath my hair. I like to watch TV in the evening with a baby next to my neck. It doesn't take long for the babies to look forward to your spending time with them.[​IMG]

5. BlackRose89

Feb 4, 2014
    I've let the dogs see them, while I hold one, it just seems like there's a lot of them and I'm nervous about the Rhode Island Red... But the white leghorn seems to be the dominant one already lol

6. BlackRose89

Feb 4, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. griggy

griggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    They are adorable! Congrats! Mine started going on the perch right away, even just to jump around on and now I see them sitting on it all the time!

8. BlackRose89

Feb 4, 2014
    The older ones I got last night all have wing feathers, I have no idea how old they all are

9. griggy

griggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    Mine are 2 and 3 weeks old and they all have wing feathers already, got them quick.

10. BlackRose89

Feb 4, 2014
    How long do they have to stay inside? And how big will they be by then? I have them in a cardboard box so I'm afraid there won't be enough room for the full dozen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by