Here we go! Hatching Today! Temps Going Down?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rodriguezpoultry, Jul 12, 2010.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    After several failed attempts at my incubator, I think I'm finally going to have some luck!

I mapped out each area of my incubator and found the hot (105.7*) spots and cold (98.4*) spots. Staying away from the hot and single cold spots, I have 8 eggs awaiting hatch!

I am not taking out the turner this time and am keeping it on. Last time I removed the turner, the incubator lost temp and all died, so this time, everything is staying the same except for the humidity which I'm boosting. The eggs are due to hatch tomorrow.

I've got a staggered hatch going on too, a lovely person (Fowl Visions) sent me some of her beautiful Buff Brahma eggs and are in the incubator right now (another reason I refuse to remove the turner)!

I candled last night and I've already got two internal pips! [​IMG] I'm REALLY hoping something comes out of there, so keep your fingers crossed please!!! [​IMG]

Is there any other reason to remove the turner other than to keep little legs and toes from getting stuck? I check in there often enough to keep that issue at a bare minimum.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    Awesome! Keep us posted, we will be expecting pics [​IMG]! If you are planning to keep a Roo, you should name him Max!

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The way already hatched chicks roll eggs around in an incubator, I doubt there is a reason to stop the turner other than them possibly getting stuck or trapped plus turning during lockdown is just not really needed. The air sac stays up where it needs to be so they should be able to hatch without drowning as long as you keep the small side down. Unless somebody can come up with some other reasons, I think you turn them to keep the yolk or embryo from drying out and sticking to the side of the egg shell if it come into direct contact with the inside of the porous egg shell. By the time you get to lockdown, the embryo is so large it is going to be touching whether it is turning or not, so you increase the humidty to keep the chick from drying out.

I don't think the turner will be your issue. I think the humidity will be your problem in the staggered hatch, but you've been around long enough to be aware of that. [​IMG]

4. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Yes, 3 days of high humidity is not going to be enough to kill the other embryos developing. Once the others hatch, I'm not adding any more humidity until their 18 days. I've got an exterior pip! Hopefully I'll look again tonight and see a zip going on!

5. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    WOOHOO!!! I have 1/2 a chick!

She'd pipped but hadn't made any progress for 12 hours, so I helped her out halfway. She's still 1/2 way out, but is just exhausted. She's blue!!!! WOOHOO!!! [​IMG]

6. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Go chickies, go! [​IMG]

7. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Congratulations...[​IMG]

8. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    She's the darkest blue chick I've ever gotten from this pairing, so I'm hoping something GOOD comes from her! I have 4 other eggs with a pipped exterior...so fingers crossed!

9. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    WOOHOO!!! 3 chick!

2 blue, 1 black!

Odd though, one of the blues doesn't have any leg feathers. The other has abundant? Go figure? Maybe she'll be the beginning of my German Langshan project.

Quick question...why is my temperature going down in my incubator? Shouldn't it be going up?

10. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Whelp...got 3.5 chicks! Waiting on the last one to come out!

Tally is 2 blues, 2 blacks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by