I just set my 12 test eggs. They are from a friend's mixed flock of chickens. I'm using a new Hova Bator 1602 with a pc fan installed. My due date is on March 6, first candling on the 21st. I've never incubated before, but I've read through the directions posted here thoroughly (including the whole dry vs. wet incubation debate) and tested my bator for a few days beforehand. My hydrometer/thermometer is one that has a separate probe unit that transmits remotely to a digital reader thingy. I figured that this would help me from feeling like I have to obsessively go in and check the temps, I can just keep the monitor with me. I have a backup thermometer in the incubator as well. I'm expecting some precious silkie eggs in late March, we have been looking forward to having silkies for months now, so this is pretty exciting. I'll be building a little silkie hut and run for the little fluffmonsters in a couple of months (if it ever stops raining long enough ). I'll update this post with anything new. ---------------------------------------- So, here are the final #'s: Day 7 candling: 12 viable and veining Day 13 candling: 11 viable 1 rotten (and stinky!) Day 18: 10 viable 1 rotten Hatching: 8 hatched independantly, 1 got stuck for 6 hours after zipping and I did help once all others were hatched and moved to the brooder. She is doing fine now. A bit smaller, but catching up fast. 1 died in shell after zipping. Here they are in pics DH shot: Overall it was an amazing experience, and I look forward to doing it again later in the month.