Here we go with the wheezy laryngitis again

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nuchickontheblock, Dec 10, 2010.

1. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    One of my hens started to be wheezy and sounding like she had laryngitis when she "talks and squawks" about 2 months ago. She acted fine. No other respiratory symptoms, eating, drinking, pooping, laying and running around normally. I had someone suggest VetRX which I tried and it worked great. Put in the water, under wings, sprinkled around the shelf where the girls roost, and gave her a bit down her throat. I know some think it is just like vicks for chickens and not that helpful, but it worked for us and I'm not a big medication person. I do have some Tylan around that I could give her if necessary.

Anyway, the past few days since the weather really turned cold here (20 and below), the laryngitis and wheezy exhalations have started again. Her lungs sound clear when I listen with a stethoscope and I have started the VetRX again. Anyone know what would cause this? She is really acting normal except for this. [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There are several respiratory diseases that chickens get Lots of info out there. Here's one source for an overview:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    thank you for the info site. I have checked out this site and another website that has lists of respiratory illness, but she doesn't seem to have any symptoms except for the larygitis wheezy voice. Her eyes and nose seem clear, and she's as active as ever. This has been off and on now for 2 months and none of my other girls have had these symptoms, so it doesn't seem to be contagious. She acts normal otherwise. Seems weird to me.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by