Here We Go !!

enola

Crowing
11 Years
Jan 23, 2009
Irwin, Pennsylvania (Pittsburg area)
Ok, it started like this . . . . . .
D.gif

A guy at work was going to drown 14 chicks, he didn't have room for them.
jumpy.gif
I couldn't stand by and let this happen. So, took them home, raised them until I could pick out 3 little hens. Gave him back the other 11 chicks. Someone stole 2 of them. So, I moved to this house with 1 little OEG hen.
D.gif

Nadine (on this site) was nice enough to sell me an Araucana rooster, named Boom-Boom.
yippiechickie.gif
The hen hated him from the moment that he moved in.
tongue.gif

So. . . . I bought 2 hens, a Barred Rock and an Ameraucana.

Then I bought a LG incubator. After a couple of tweaks on the thermostat, I put all of the eggs I had on hand (2) in the incubator.
pop.gif

Then luvmychicks sent me 6 eggs from her Ameraucana hens, 3 green, 3 blue. I also put them in the incubator.
pop.gif

Like I said . . . . HERE WE GO !
love.gif
I have found the cure for chicken fever . . . . more chicks !
ya.gif

Today, I picked up 15 eggs at the PO. They are cuckoo marans from bantaman13. They will go in the incubator tonight.
pop.gif

As I type this, my son is putting together a hatcher for me. It is made out of a frozen steak styrofoam box. I have 2 eggs that will hatch in about 3 days.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
We need to get this hatcher done today so I can put the eggs in it tomorrow.

I noticed on a thread today that TSC was getting their chicks today. I call my local TSC and find out the chicks arrived this morning.
th.gif
I tried not to speed as I drove to town.
big_smile.png

I came home with 12 pullet chicks, 4 each of Easter Egger (Ameraucana), White Leghorn and Barred Rock.
love.gif

wee.gif
After all, won't 2 little chicks look lonely in the brooder ?
wee.gif

Last edited:
I know the feeling - see all those chicken breeds in my siggie down there? All of them are NEW this year! I hve 40 chicks in my barn brooder and duck and goose eggs in the bators.

I got it bad too - must resist feed store - but I have to go in today to buy feed...LOL...I am seriously laughing right now at the thought of me NOT coming home with chicks!
bun.gif

Reliculous notion!
tongue2.gif

I have a plan . . . . . I am only going to RAISE one breed
lau.gif
starting next year !!!!

EASTER EGGERS !
wee.gif

The planning part is to improve the ratio of feed to egg, so that is why I bought the leghorns, I will cross them with my rooster and have hens laying lots of blue eggs....
droolin.gif

The barred rocks are so I can sex the chicks and sell rooster chicks to neighbors who are asking for them for the freezer.
ya.gif

The Easter Eggers are so I can have green eggs by sometime this fall, since other neighbors are clamoring for colored eggs. I was afraid they would become bored with just blue eggs.
big_smile.png
hu.gif

The cuckoo marans will lay the dark brown eggs that my boyfriend loves .....
hugs.gif

Now I will avoid the chick days by getting my chicken feed from our local co-op since they don't sell chicks
clap.gif

Now we will all sit back
pop.gif
and see how this plan works
gig.gif

Last edited:
I hope your birds from TSC turn out to be pullets. A co-worker of mine bought some pullets from TSC and they ALL turned out to be roosters.

Sorry to leave everyone hanging, but, in order to support "my plan" I do have to go to work.
hu.gif

So, I wasn't here when they came out of the eggs
barnie.gif

But, my soon-to-be DIL was and texted me all eveing while I was working (or supposed to be).
woot.gif
She has never seen anything like this in her life.
ep.gif

She was so excited when we candled the first eggs and has been doing a lot of this
fl.gif

Any way, they have both come out of the egg and both are black.

These 2 eggs came from the Barred Rock and the Ameraucana hens that I bought. So, if they are hens, I can keep them to cross with my Araucana rooster !
celebrate.gif

They have not dried off yet, so I can't tell if one of them has a white dot on the head or not.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom