Here's a question for you-what day is today?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kelly FG, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Kelly FG

Kelly FG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    I put the eggs under my broody at 6:30pm on Wednesday May 14th, is today day 21 as I've been thinking or is tomorrow day 21?

I read every chapter on hatching in all of my books & couldn't find the answer to this question. BTW she's only got one egg left & its not cheeping, moving & no pip.

2. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    Today is Day 21...I know because I put mine in the same as yours....

If you put them in 12 noon or later, you count the next day as Day 1

Congratulations on the hatch![​IMG]

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i thought you counted day one as the day the egg goes into the incubator (or under the hen). So that would make yesterday day 21. But from my personal experience with incubating, and then one experience with hatching under a hen, it seems to take a little longer under a hen. So you should have pips and peeps soon.

Have your other eggs hatched and one is left, or do you just have the one?

4. Kelly FG

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    Quote:my hen broke two, so she's only got one left & I'm starting to think its not good.Almost everyone that started eggs at the same time as me has chicks or pips. I've got nothing but a hen that wants to be a Mommy.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    You may want to hold the egg up to your ear and listen for peeping. Or gently tap a couple times and see if you hear tapping back. If nothing, then i would candle it to see if you can see anything.

Good luck!

6. Kelly FG

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    day 22 & I'm off to work.
    The shell looks unchanged & there is no noise. My broody looks tired, she's not even bothering to growl or fluff up at me anymore.
    I decided to quickly & carefull candle the egg. Since its so dark I'm not seeing anything definitive, but I see a big change from my last candling on day 18, I'm pretty sure I saw a few kicks but I was so nervous to do it fast.
    Hopefully when I get home tonight Sunny will have her baby:fl

7. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I just came in to check on Sunny's progress. I hope you come home from work to find a cute little peeper!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by