Here's a question for you??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NestingHillsSC, Mar 14, 2012.

1. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
  2. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    You would get Black Copper mutts, with vaguely visible duckwings and some red leakage on the breast.

3. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    So they would be mainly black your saying?? Would the egg color be more like a RIR or the very dark brown of a Maran??

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I have marans hen that lays lighter color eggs and my RIR page the same color. So it is hard to tell their eggs apart.

5. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    You're right - Just imagine Black Coppers, but the sons will have hardly visible duckwings (speculaums), only a tad lighter than the rest of the wing, and both sexes would have red leakage (sorta lacing on the breast and shoulders).

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Because I've done this cross before, your offspring will be reddish to orange-ish mixed with a lot of black. Males will mostly look like a very mossy/colorful "black copper" but with a more Production Red type body and sparse leg feathering. Females will be mostly black but with varying amounts of leakage from the neck spanning in varying degrees down to the breast, possible wings and possible back.

Egg color will be a terra-cotta orangey with speckles but may vary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by