here's a realy good home made gift for Christmas.

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by toetoe, Oct 14, 2009.

1. toetoe

toetoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Ferndale
    I made this last year for my family and friends and figured I would share it with BYC.

I made Gingerbread boxes. Not with paper like everyone else does but out of real gingerbread.

The box is made of real gingerbread and lined with a silk lining. The hinges for the top are made from ribbon and the top is decorated with silk or dried flowers.

The box is made hard so it will last years.

If anyone would like the instructions on how to make it I can type it out.
    Just let me know.

2. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Mmmmm...now I wish I had a cookie!

3. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

That would make a darling gift for girls!!! Recipe and directions please!!!

4. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    And pics!!

5. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    DEFINITELY pics!

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Oh yes... pics and recipes please!

I would like these for the kids I'm making patchwork bunnies for this holiday. How cute on christmas day would that be to open!!! [​IMG]

7. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Uhhhhhhhhh, where are our pics and directions? Anyone? Anyone? [​IMG]

8. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I made a edible gingerbread basket for a friend of mine a few years ago and all I done was rolled out the dough and then cut out the circles with a cookie cutter and I took so aluminum foil and covered the small loaf bread pan and then i sprayed a bread pan with cooking spray and laid all the cookies, overlaping just a bit, all around the pan and baked it, bottom side up of course, as you would a regular batch of cookies. Also lay that pan onto a cookie sheet before baking, then when done you need to let it cool completely and then remove. WAH LAH!!! A cookie basket taht you can fill with other goodies or candies or whateer your mind can think of. [​IMG]

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:Yes, please, and hurry!!!! [​IMG]

10. toetoe

toetoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Ferndale
    I have no Pics. I made them and sent them as gifts last year. I am hoping to start the ones for my son's craft fair next week. I will make sure that I take pics of each step and the finished product.
    But for now here is how it is done.

I will give the recipe and how to build. This gingerbread is not for eating or for making a house..box only.

Gingerbread Recipe:

1 cup butter or vegan alternative, room temperature
    6 cups flour
    1 1/2 cups brown sugar
    1 cup molasses
    2 eggs
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    1 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    1 tablespoon ground allspice
    Mix all of the dry ingredients together with a whisk. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar, then add the molasses and eggs and beat well.

Add about half of the flour mixture to the butter mix and stir well. Add the rest of the flour in increments until fully mixed. If the dough seems really wet, add flour until it has a smooth doughy consistency. Cover the bowl tightly and refrigerate overnight. You could also start it in the morning and bake it that night.

Gingerbread Frosting to be made when your ready to put together.

A traditional frosting is called royal icing:

3 egg whites
    1 & 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
    3 & 1/2 cups of powdered (confectioners) sugar
    Beat the whites until foamy, add the cream of tartar and beat until stiff. Beat in the sugar, mixing for 5 minutes or until a thick consistency is reached. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

A vegan version of the frosting:

3 cups of powdered sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 & 1/2 tablespoons of Silk Nog or soy milk
    egg replacer for 3 eggs
    Beat the soy milk, egg replacer and vanilla together, then add powdered sugar and beat until thickened. Add more sugar as needed. This recipe tends to be runnier than the royal icing.

after gingerbread has rested over night or 8 hours.

Set oven to 350 F

Cut a pattern:
    take paper and cut a pattern of the size you want your box to be.

if square box and you want 6 inch sides cut a 6x6 square of paper and if you want a 4 inch side cut a 4 x4 square of paper.

the box must have 4 sides, 1 top and 1 bottom.

some of the sizes you can make are:

*6x6,5x5,4x4..for a square box resembling a cube.

*2x6 for sides and 6x6 for top and bottom.
    or 4x5 for sides and 5x5 for top and bottom.

Cut out 1 paper for each side and 1 for your top and bottom.

Now you have your pattern, flour your rolling board and put your Gingerbread on to roll.
    Roll bread out to 1/4 inch thickness, place your patterns on and cut out patterns. (do not throw paper pattern away you will need them still)

Place cut out gingerbread on foil or parchment paper lined cookie sheets.

Bake for 11-12 min. or till ferm to the touch. Try not let it brown.

When done take out and cool over night, do not cover or put in closed container.

Now you have the time to sew your lining and choose your ribbon and flowers.

Box Lining:

Take your paper patterns you used for your gingerbread, Use these patterns to make the patterns for your lining.

Cut your silk, cotton, or any other fabric 1 inch larger on all sides then the gingerbread. You will need pieces for the 4 sides and the bottom.

Sew to form a box with no top.

Putting your box together:

Use frosting to glue your box together, glue in lining and your ribbon and flowers.

remember that royal icing will dry very fast so when not in use keep covered with a damp cloth.

Start with your bottom piece of bread. with a knife or piping bag spread a small 1/8 inch trim of icing on one edge of gingerbread bottom. Stick one side on icing to form your first side of box. next put a 1/8 inch of icing on the two sides of your first box side.
    Continue with the other three side remembering to glue to the bottom of box and each edge of the side pieces. Do not glue on the lid.
    Stuff gently with crumpled paper to hold the sides from falling in and let set hard 6 hours.
    Keep icing covered with plastic wrap and a damp cloth in you fridge until the next step.

When icing has hardened take 2 pieces of ribbon (1/2 inch wide is best) cut 3 inches long and lay your box on it's side. lay the lid of your box beside the open end.
    Put one dap of icing on each end of ribbon and glue to lid and alter net sides of box to form a hinge.
    Gently lift box and close lid..let dry for 2 hours. While it is drying you can work on the out side of your box.

The top and sides can be decorated in any way you wish. With the icing you can glue ribbon, flowers, small toys. You can add icing on for decoration as well. If you want to color the icing you can not use liquid food coloring but you can use powder food coloring.

You must let hinge dry and harden before opening it to put in lining. I usably let it dry over night. ( same 2 Teaspoons of icing for lining)

Lining:
    Open your box and put a trim of icing around the top edge of the box to glue in lining. Put lining in the box and pull the edges up to the icing, press in place.

Finished.

I am hoping to get a few pics up in the next 2 weeks to help you see the finished project.

Sew

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by