Here's an Idea for Roost

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4theloveofhens, Jun 24, 2010.

1. 4theloveofhens

4theloveofhens Songster

May 26, 2010
    Hey, just in case anyone needs a clever idea for a roost for their little ones (not for full grown hens, or probably even mature pullets) but for my 4 week olds, it will do. I know my girls were roosting at about 1 week old, the day I got them and placed each of them on the roost to show them, they were doing it.

We just moved them from their guinea pig cage to a "halfway house" outside. Their small PVC pipe roost wouldn't work out in the halfway house, so while shopping at thrift stores for ideas, I cam across paper towel HOLDERS for roosts! The trick is to find ones that have a flat back to them, so all you have to do is set them on the coop floor and voila!

Sturdy, perfect sizes (you can even find different sizes), round for easy grasping, easy to take out, and not a wallet robber! Only $5 dollars for two of them for me at ARC thift stores. You can usually always find these at your local thrift store/goodwill/garage sale!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I may not be the first to do this, but I'm sure it'll help someone out there!

2. Peep Talk

Peep Talk Songster

Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Loudon, PA
    That is an awesome idea!

3. lovinlife

lovinlife Songster

Good idea!

The only thing I would suggest is securing the rod so it doesn't twist. I did something similar for my chicks, but the rod kept twisting when they got on it and they couldn't get a secure footing. Once I tightened the rod so it wouldn't twist, they were fine.

4. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    A round perch really isn't the best thing for a chicken; they're not perching birds so their feet really aren't designed for grasping. Those dowels look kinda slippery and smooth, too.

You could do a little experiment and stick something flat, like a yardstick, in the brooder and see what they prefer to roost on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by