Here's hoping for 0 roos

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by redheadfarmer, Oct 23, 2011.

1. redheadfarmer

redheadfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    SW Ontario
    We recently picked out some more pets from a "Fur and Feather" swap. The grandfather that sold us our chicks told us up front that he was not great at sexing the chicks. As such we were to take our picks and he wished us good luck. He suggested that we stick to the light coloured ones but one darker chick grabbed my daughter's fancy. All Ameraucauna chicks, we are hopeful that they are all girls (we are not allowed to have roosters in town). We bought them at 4 weeks old. They are about 7 weeks now and the dark chick is acting more and more like a rooster everyday! Either that or she is at the top of the pile.

Assuming I get their pictures posted...what do you think? Are we looking at 4 hens or not? How soon before "he" crows and we have to get rid of him?

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Welcome to the BYC [​IMG]

I bought mine sexed. You have a 50% of anything at this point. The roo will try to crow soon. Post some pictures it will help God luck!!

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    At 7 weeks, many EEs are showing their gender either by comb development or color patterns (and I'm guessing that yours are actually EEs because the fellow had multiple colors). Photos are needed, though, to help ID [​IMG]

FWIW, my EE cockerel started crowing at 14 weeks. I'd suspected since 3 weeks and known for certain at 4 that he was a boy because of his coloration and comb.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hoping for 0 roos? Uh yeah, good luck with that. Even sexed chicks come with only a 90% accuracy from the hatcheries and the hatcheries have trained staff to sex the chicks. [​IMG]

5. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] no roos! ... this hatch I had 2 roos out 10 chicks...my last hatch I had 7 out of 7 roos... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  6. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    There's always hope [​IMG] My 1st hatch was 5 chicks, 4 roos & 1 pullet so we rehomed 3 roos. My 2nd hatch was 1 pullet only (YEAH). My 3rd hatch I have 3 silkies and 5 lavender orpingtons and at this point they are only 1.5weeks old so no idea of the sex. My older chicks I could guess their sex by week 4 and tell their sex by week 8 - they are white leghorns - their combs and wattles got much bigger and redder then the pullets & by 6 weeks old one of the roos had started trying to crow. He'd open and close his mouth and make a strange squeeking sound that is now a crow.

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I bought 9 chicks from a local feed store last year, from the pullet pen...ALL were roos! I sold them all at our local livestock auction, then went to a feed store about 5 hours away....ALL 10 were pullets! yeah for me....Now they are all laying eggs and I am a happy camper! I will never buy from the first place again!

There is always a chance...my store was 100% accurate...post some pics soon, we will see what you have!

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

So, what the plan if 50% of them are roosters, according to the odds? Craigslist? Supper? [​IMG]

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    freezer camp, craigslist, trade someone else....I managed to sell or give away my boys....

10. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I got 13 mixed breeds in spring from a local farm. They did not sex any, and we just grabbed 13 from a mixed brooder. Out of that 13, 11 were roos! I was skunked! [​IMG]

Wishing no roos for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by