Heres my chicks at approx 6 weeks.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Meat Hunter, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Meat Hunter

Meat Hunter Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Howdy all. The guy at the hatchery was not quite 100% sure of what breeds they were. I just wanted to mixed layers and what he had left over from peoples orders is what I took.
    I have a fairly good idea of what breed they may be going off the list of what he normally offers but he also orders other varieties based on customer requests. I just picked one of each as I have a few of each pictured.

The list of birds they normally deal with are the following.
    California White, Production Red, Barred Rock, Black Sex Link, White Leghorns, White Rock, Black Austrolorp, Americanas ,Buff Orpingtons, Silver Lace Wyandottes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Your photos are of an EE (which the hatcheries call Araucanas or Ameraucanas), a black sex link, a barred rock, a production red, a buff orpington and another EE. Nice selection of breeds! [​IMG]

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:Agreed!

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Your 3rd pic looks like it's a barred rock rooster), the last pic if it's another EE, it's most likely a rooster also. Could be a silver laced Wyandotte?

5. Meat Hunter

May 29, 2011
    Thanks all. So the top and bottom pics are of the same variety?

6. rhs7111

Mar 11, 2011
    Yes, the top and bottom are both EEs. They will lay blue, blue/green or green eggs (although a few EEs do lay shades of brown, pinkish, pearl, etc.) If you post a close up photo of their combs, I may be able to tell you their genders. So far, I'd say the first EE is a pullet and perhaps the last EE as well, although I'd like to see the comb of the last EE. The barred rock does have quite a bit of comb, but the feather patterms appears to be pullet...so perhaps post another photo of the rock as well, so we can better ascertain gender for you.

7. rhs7111

Mar 11, 2011
    Quote:Green legs, so not a Wyandotte.

8. Meat Hunter

May 29, 2011
    Ok, here a some close ups of them. They were NOT in a cooperative mood I might add lol

Barred Rock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The chick in the last pic. EE.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not a good pic here.
    [​IMG]

And then I noticed this sex link. A roo? Actually, the whole body color on this one is different from the link posted about. Maybe a Australorp?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by