1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Here's my Christmas Wish

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by The Sheriff, Dec 17, 2009.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    On BYC there could be a list of approved initials like BO, BLRW, BCM, etc. When anyone types one of these into a post it automatically highlights in a different color, lets say red. Then, when I put my mouse over it, (I don't have to click, just hover over it) a little box pops up and in the box it says Buff Orpington, or Blue laced Red Wyandotte, or Black Copper Marans.

That's on my Christmas list! [​IMG] I'll just wait right here with bright pink post it notes all over my monitor. [​IMG]

Thanks Santa.

Mary

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Too bad Warden. Santa just checked his list twice and found you were naughty and not nice this past year.
    [so sorry..... running away and hiding now...]

3. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    That sounds like a great idea! I sometimes get distracted while reading a post just trying to figure out what the abreviations are. I know there is a list out there that is an abreviation dictionary but I don't have time to go look it up each time I don't know what an abreviation is.

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Ok, who's the snitch? Maybe it was Poco Pollo when when I outbid her for the Light Sussex eggs with 2 seconds to go. Or maybe it was because I threatened to cull a Mille with a curved toe. Or maybe it was because I bragged about having an upscale Snuggie. Wow, maybe I have been naughty! I am still wishing though. Santa (Nifty) probably hasn't been paying that much attention. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2009
  5. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

On my todo list I've had something like that in mind, but it would link the terms to pages with info instead of a bubble. For example: things like "GFM" to the page talking about what that is, SO & DS would link to a page with all the forum shorthand abbreviations, etc.

It's on the list and we'll keep thinking about ways to integrate it in a way that it won't mess up linking words that shouldn't and also playing nice when people are manually linking those words to other things.

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I have seen where words have a red ..... under them and if you click, a small pop up with a definition comes up.

What about that?

7. buckeyefarm

buckeyefarm New Egg

Dec 17, 2009
    I think I can provide this for you. Like a rollover effect for some pre-determined set of abbreviations.

If an Administrator can send me a message, I'll explain how.

Merry Christmas,

From,
    Secret Santa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by