1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Here's my coop! Thanks for everyone's help!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mr.hutch23, Sep 24, 2011.

1. mr.hutch23

mr.hutch23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    I asked so many questions on here, and got so much good advice, when I was building my coop. Here is what I ended up with, comments and questions are welcome and once again, thanks!

The footprint is 8'x14', I've only got 7 in it now but I hope to get another 10-15 in there soon.
    I'm going to close the top windows in the winter and put a sliding piece of plexiglass over part of the front opening when it get below zero. I'm running electricity out there now so I can get a heat lamp over the waterer when needed this winter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Awesome great job! [​IMG]

3. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Mr. Hutch, Great looking coop, like the split level design. Only thing I can see is the osb you used for facia may come apart in time exposed to the elements. Just a thought.
    Erik

4. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    Quote:a little paint wouldn't hurt... unless you like the natural look...

5. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    Good job! Lot's of leg room for the girls and for you!

6. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

looks really great! I think it's going to be perfect for the winter. Is that T1-11 siding? If so, it won't hold up without paint in the weather. It will start to delaminate. But otherwise, you did a great job! [​IMG]

7. mr.hutch23

mr.hutch23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Thanks for all the nice comments. Yes, that is T 1-11. What is the cheapest natural stuff I can put on it to keep it from "delaminating?"

8. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
  9. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

walmart has exterior paint for $19 a gallon. No extra cost to get any color you want- you could paint it brown so it looks natural? Or you could put a water sealer on it-- like you would for your deck??

10. Feeder

Feeder Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Rolling Prairie, IN.
    Very nice lookin coop, I went with thompsons water seal to keep the natural look easy to apply with sprayer. Again great job

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by