1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Here's my coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hunterblu123, Nov 14, 2010.

1. hunterblu123

hunterblu123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    SW Ohio
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made from a silage wagon
    [​IMG]

2. amydzek

amydzek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    very nice!

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Wonderful idea!! I think that's the first time I've seen one made from a silage wagon! [​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Your coop is really nice!

It is hard to tell from the pictures if your holes are large- but rats and weasels can get into a coop if your holes are larger than 1/2". Edited to include: oops- you can look at post #2 of this thread I just saw- he says 1/2 inch is good enough for a weasel:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=419264

Under the baseboards it looks like you might need some hardware cloth or more boarding up to do. Also digging predators can get under the boards, unless you apron (out on top of the ground) or bury some hardware cloth.

If you are interested you can do a search on here for "hardware cloth apron."

I would LOVE to have a coop like that!!!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  5. hunterblu123

hunterblu123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    SW Ohio
    Thanks it's not done yet. We still have to add the nest boxes and fix the bottom. Good thing is we don't have weasel or rats. I have a trap for the foxes. We trapped 5 in the spring b/f we had the chickens and have not seen any since. They do run free in the day and locked up @ night.

6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Wow! Bravo! Yeah I agree, fix the holes. With holes ya can't have chicks! [​IMG]

7. tennessee

tennessee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    Crossville
    That is a great coop! I love it.

8. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Looks great other than predator proofing it. Sounds like you have a plan for that as well. [​IMG]

9. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Very cool idea! Love it!

10. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Love it! Wish I had it![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by