Here's my McMurray surprise at 2 weeks old -- what is it?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Four Acre Bliss, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Four Acre Bliss

Four Acre Bliss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Virginia
    We assumed cockerel because they usually are, but this chick isn't particularly aggressive or noisy. More like assertive and quiet. It stands up for itself but doesn't bully anyone. Feathered feet, was grey to start but new feathers are coming in white.

So, boy or girl? Too early to tell? And what breed? Cochin? Brahma? Guesses? Thanks ...

[​IMG]

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    It looks like it could be a white langshan because of the longer legs and some white birds hatch out smokey looking like white giants and such.

3. Four Acre Bliss

Jan 22, 2009
    Virginia
    Hmm, that's a thought I hadn't considered. The shape looks right ... I just checked McMurray and their page describes the Langshans as having bluish feet, though ... this chick has orange feet. Would the color change later on?

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Perhaps a non-typical blue cochin?.....The little thing really doesnt have a langshan-ish face from the look of the picture. Sure is adorable, though.

5. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    The leg color often changes. It looks like there is some blue creeping up on the toes and inside of the legs. With the sumatras they hatch out with darker legs and bright orange toes and leg parts and they slowly turn black. If you look at the chicks at the bottom of the page at feathersite they look just like yours.
    http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Langshan/BRKLangshan.html

6. Four Acre Bliss

Jan 22, 2009
    Virginia
    Here's another pic where you can see a different angle.

[​IMG]

7. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    cute little thing, i love surprises, i say white cochin

8. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    The feet look to feathered for a langshan. Mine from MM had very little feathers and a couple didn't have any till they got older. Does look like a cochin though.

Here's what my black langshan chicks looked like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's my cochin chicks.
    [​IMG]

9. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    Those long legs and body type plus the way the white color is coming in from a gray chick makes me think Langshan. The leg feathering is a bit heavy for hatchery stock so it could be a Cochin or you were lucky enough to get a better quality Langshan.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  10. Four Acre Bliss

Jan 22, 2009
    Virginia
    Looking at the pics you posted, I'm leaning Langshan. His or her beak is much more similar to the Langshan pics, with the ridging and whatnot at the top ... the Cochins seem to have a plainer, smaller beak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by