Here's my new 4x6 coop (pics!)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickFila, Jun 14, 2010.

1. ChickFila

ChickFila Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    It has been built by my hubby during the last 2 weeks.
    It is 4x6 coop, 3 roosts (will be installed next week) and with 6 nest boxes.
    It has been more built than this by yesterday, but I wanted to show to get how you think about it!
    The total cost to built this coop is around $500. I bought sidings, paint, roof shingles, etc... for this coop, they are ready to be put and rest in my garage now [​IMG]
    I will update on pictures as progress is going on.
    Too bad my hubby is on vacation for a week from now.
    If you have any comment, please do not hesitate to let me know. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Very nice!! [​IMG]

Missi

3. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    WOW! That is looking good. Would he like to come here for his week off? [​IMG]

4. ChickFila

ChickFila Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Oh boy.. I am a kind of sad, nobody posted their comment on this coop [​IMG]
    3 roosts are already built and 6 nest boxes.
    My hubby will work for sidings and shingles tomorrow.
    Any comment? (bump up!)

5. smilingcat

smilingcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    See that the father is wearing a safety glasses but your son? and sandles??? No offense but I don't want to see anyone getting hurt.

Interesting building technique. It's not really framed is it?? looks like he is using 2x2s to make the right angle connection between the plywood. It works. And I might add too that it looks very nice. Like to see when its done and painted. And will it have vents for the winter or is it just the windows.

6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    It looks really nice- post a picture when you get it all painted up! You have a nice DH!!!

7. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Very cool looking coop. Though if you have 6 hens, you really only need 2 nest boxes. I've got 2 nest boxes for 9 hens, and they STILL all use the same box. In fact, sometimes there is a line! I've come to gather eggs and found one or two hens on one nest, with another pacing, waiting for her turn. There is a completely empty, perfectly good nest box available, but nooooo, they all want to use the 'good' one!
    It won't hurt to have more than you need, but you could also use the space for storage. Anyway, nicely built coop [​IMG]

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    looks fanastic!! [​IMG]
    are you planning on painting? what color? good job on the build~!

9. chiknwhisper'r

chiknwhisper'r New Egg

Jun 12, 2010
    Middlesboro
    Quote:this looks like the ones that they show in the books, it is exactly like the ones in Randall Burkey, I love it and I commend your husband for doing it himself and not ordering it and paying the $500 for shipping and handling. Very good!!!!!!!!!

10. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

Try posting the pics again.....nothing came thru!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by