Here's my opportunity

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by horsejody, Jan 23, 2009.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Well, I just had an abysmal hatch. DH (who likes to pretend he's not into the chicken thing) was talking this morning about the eggs. He actually said, "Maybe we should check with some breeders about getting some eggs. I think we should get some different colors of chickens to have a nicer variety." [​IMG] I was shocked that he suggested it, but I was even more shocked that he said, "we." I tried not to show too much excitement over it so he wouldn't think about it too much and reconsider. BUT OMG!!!!! [​IMG] I've been cruising the internet all day trying to find the perfect Ameraucanas and/or golden cuckoo Marans eggs. Or maybe someone on here has an incredibly beautiful colorful line of birds that lays well.

DH has hinted a few times that he likes my lone buff Cochin, but I have heard that they don't lay that well. I got Butterscotch in October, and she hasn't laid one egg, but she is very sweet. I think that she and a blue JG (Little Bigfoot) are his favorites.

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I'd figure out right quick what I liked and buy some eggs from someone here on the board. Quick before he wakes up.............. [​IMG]

Julie [​IMG]

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Believe me, I'm lookin.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Are you on the BST portion of this site?

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:I have been looking.

6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:Jody,
    I have Cochins, they are a little slow to mature, so don't give up on her. They typically lay 4 or 5 days a week, this is average, I have a hen that lays 6 days a week, but stops completely in the winter. The hatchery Cochins, lay less than a better quality one. Also, my Phoenix lay well, daily generally, but I swear this crazy weather is messing with all my hens, even my RIR, BO and Wyandottes are screwy right now.

BTW, my PM to you a few months ago about the Phoenix still stands, Just let me know.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    horsejody,

Just so you know, I've dealt with two Ameraucana breeders on her.. Melissa (pasofinofarm) and Jean (pips & peeps). They are both absolutely delightful to work with and from what I've seen, they have some high quality birds.

One thing though... there will always be eggs scrambled when they come via the post office.

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Yeah, I know about the post office.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by