here's my silly duck question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by okie16, Mar 12, 2008.

1. okie16

okie16 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    We live on 5 acre with a 1/4 acre pond. When our ducklings get old enough can we turn them loose on the pond. We do have dogs that rome around and a Red Tail Hawk that stays around here. Can they fend for themselves?

If so, what age should we put them out there?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Domestic ducks depend on humans for food and protection. If you let them loose on your pond, they will likely be either taken by a predator or starve.

3. tink

tink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    This is a new venture for us too. I was going to try and treat them like our chickens......have food for them, but let them free range. We will see.....
    Tink

4. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I am so paranoid I don't let mine out of their pens without their harnesses! :eek:

5. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    My ducks range, but they have plenty of cover. Also, the geese seem to ward off hawks.
    Most ducks will also dive under water If it's deep enough. They are very small though! I think
    I'd let them out when I was out to be on the safe side until you see how they react to things flying overhead.

6. okie16

Mar 3, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    thanks everyone for your replys. Thats what I thought. How much run space do they need and can I keep them in the same coop and run as my chickens?

7. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    You can keep them with chickens if their run is large enough and they have a wading pool. They do make a mess sloshing water around and dabbling in it. Their poop is also dangerously slippery! We have no problem housing the two together here in NM because the ground dries out so fast. I would not recommend housing them with feather-footed breeds.

Can you fence your pond? I think the dogs are far more of a threat than the hawks. They'd be very happy with their own pond and daily feeding.

8. okie16

Mar 3, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    Quote:Their run is going to be 12x20 for my 13 chickens and 2 ducks.

fenceing in the pond is something we would like to do in the future, but not in the budget right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by