here's our coop so far . . .

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fargosmom, Feb 23, 2009.

1. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    We finally got a break in the weather and started construction this past weekend - we'll get it finished this weekend and just in time! The chicks are over 6 weeks old and really need to move out on their own.
    First pic is of the site - used to be my veggie patch but was unused the last year or two:
    [​IMG]
    It's below the top of the wall so our neighbor won't see it (he knows it's going in but I don't want him to get fed up with his crazy neighbor [​IMG] )
    Here's the construction so far:
    [​IMG]
    We buried galvanized sheet metal (a flattened rain gutter) around the perimeter to prevent digging (it only goes about 6-8 inches underground but I hope that will be enough). 1/2 inch hardware cloth all round the run (and overhead). Fence boards for siding and flooring (the boards at the near end will be trimmed off just below the top of the wall). John has insisted on stainless steel screws, and of course everything must be level and square, so it's much nicer than anything I could have built on my own. Really hope it's raccoon-proof!

2. fargosmom

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    By the way - I got an automatic waterer for the run but I'm not sure how to install it. Physically, that is; I understand the plumbing. But I want it to be off the ground a little to keep it clean - what's the best way to mount it so the hens don't knock it over, but it's easy to take out and clean?

3. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Very nice

4. Beautiful....

I would love to see the finish product when you are done.

5. fargosmom

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    You got it! I'll be posting again when the super-deluxe chicky condo is ready to move in. Do chickens enjoy a house-warming party? What's a suitable gift? [​IMG]

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Looks great! That's four lucky chickens!
    Although one thing...are you keeping the dirt floor? If so then I would maybe put some hardware cloth on the ground and put dirt on top of that so in case something does try to dig under, which they prob will, that they don't get your chickens.

7. zigzag3337

zigzag3337 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Callahan, FL.
    Quote:I personally don't recommend using these connected to a full time water supply. Just because they will get clogged and then they will continue to run (most likely when your not at home) and flood your coop. However, these waterers are great, just use them with a limited supply of water. I am working on using two of these connected with a 35 gallon drum. That way if they get clogged, I only will drain the drum and not flood them out.

I have seen on someone else's post that they have used a grate from an old grill to block their watering hole. That way the birds can't either perch above the waterer or play in the water. I have several of those white organizer shelves that you install in closets, so I am planning to use one of those. The birds will be able to stick their heads through it to get to the water, but can't take a bath in it!

As far as the bottom of your coop, On my 12x36 run, I made the chicken wire about 8" longer than my coop and bent the wire outward. I then covered it up with dirt. Most animals dig right at the edge of a fence trying to get under and not a foot away from the fence. So far, I haven't had any problems and I have had my pen up and running for about 6 months.

Good Luck,
    Richard

8. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Fargosmom, it's looking great so far. Anxious to see the finished product.

9. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

The perfect place for a coop!! We want finished pix soon!! You are going to have some very happy girls!! [​IMG]

10. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Nice job so far, keep up the good work [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by