Here's our home made brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by onewithquail, Feb 19, 2012.

1. onewithquail

onewithquail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2012
    Nothing fancy, costs less then $7.00 because Wall Mart had a sale on the bins. We already had a heat lamp, and wire screen,[​IMG] so the cost was nothing compared to a store bought brooder. Same as our incubator, which we made from an old aquarium, and a 40 watt light bulb, the fixture we also had so cost was less then $15.00 because we had to buy a humidity meter, and thermometer.

2. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Very cool. I have 32 chicken eggs in my incubator and I hope they all hatch. Supposedly Friday. This is a great idea for a brooder. In the past I've always used OSB and 2x4s. Might try the plastic brooder approach.

3. onewithquail

onewithquail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2012
    Cool, and good luck on the hatch, Ya I think the plastic container works great for a brooder, and it cleans real easy, spray it out and dry then use 5%bleech water mixture to steralize, wait till dry and it's ready to use again...Works well for me so far, and as I said it's cheap..lol

4. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i like using the plastic kiddy pools for large hatches. Nice setup tho my first brooder was very much the same.

5. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by