1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Here's some new pics of my coop, not sure about the inside though.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by There A Chick, Aug 4, 2008.

1. There A Chick

There A Chick In the Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    Creedmoor, NC
    I'm fairly happy with how the coop turned out. I still have to paint some of the trim boards on the edges, but here it is:

Ta-Da!!!

[​IMG]

I'm showing this side, there's a window on each side for good ventilation. Then see, when my boss started building it I was just going to paint it but then we were getting new siding on our house this year so I asked them to side the chicken coop too, that's why we ended up with exposed wood on the roof ends that I will paint. My boss said we would have done it differently if he know we were going to be siding it but it was a last minute decision kind of thing.

[​IMG]

Me, I know how to roof now:

[​IMG]

ok, now we get to the inside. I thought the bucket nesting box thing was a cool idea, I had 5 buckets together originally but as the peeps were learning to fly they would fly up to the top of one of the buckets, slide to the crack between 2 of them and get their poor little feet stuck til I came to resuce them, so I pulled out 2 of the buckets to avoid that happening again and I may pull out the other 3 and re-do it altogether.

As it is right now, I don't have any bedding in the buckets and they are nesting on the floor. I think I should just make wooden boxes of some sort. What do you all think? Are you supposed to use shavings in the nesting boxes?

Sorry I couldn't get real good shots of the inside because its too small to be in and have room for the pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, my peeps are very nice and friendly. My DH says they love me. My daughter and I have been playing with them since they were born. They will fly on you if you go in there and they like to snuggle. Is this usual?

Thanks for looking. :)

2. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Songster

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    Nicely done... and love the siding...

I'm sure your girls will long and happy lives in that cool coop!

3. muddler6

muddler6 Songster

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Very nicely done!! As for material in the nest box, I use shredded newspaper in mine and when given the choice between wood shavings and newspaper, mine go for the newspaper everytime. I change it pretty often and just throw it out into the coop when I replace what is in the nest boxes, then when I clean out the coop the newspaper, shavings and droppings all go into the compost bin.

4. There A Chick

There A Chick In the Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    Creedmoor, NC
    Quote:Do you shred the newspaper in a paper shredder?

5. drom

drom Songster

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Wow-great job! They will be very safe and secure there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: