Here's what I have...what roos and hens would you suggest breeding???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Keri78, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    Ok...I'm still a Newbie to the chicken world...but have to admit that I Love my chicks!!!
    My goal is to have several different colored frizzles and to sell their fertilized eggs. I want to have four seperate chicken tractor coops set up in my backyard and just rotate letting one flock out to free range a day and then once they a locked back up then the next day allowing the next flock to free range and so on. I will have four pens each with one roo and a few hens.

Here's what I have...tell me what you would do:
    One black smooth cochin roo
    Two black frizzle cochin girls...ok this seems like a no brainer of course these will stay together to keep the black coloring true.

One Buff Frizzle Roo
    One Red smooth Roo
    One white Frizzle Roo

4 Buff Orpington girls(I was thinking of putting my buff frizzle roo in with these girls and have frizzle orpies!!!thought it might be fun? not sure what the market might be?)

One white smooth cochin girl(thought of putting her with my white friz. roo)
    One silverlaced smooth cochin girl(thought of putting her with my white frizzle roo)

One Grey/Blue smooth cochin girl(should I put her with my white friz roo or buff friz. roo???)

One Red Smooth Cochin girl(which roo should she be with?)

Should I forego the friz orpi experiment and stick with just keeping the cochins together or would people be intrigued by frizzle orpies???

I NEED your wisdom and experience here...help a NEWBIE OUT!!!(lol)

Blessings & thanks so much, Keri

2. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Put all the blacks and blue together.

Keep the whites together.

Go ahead and put the buff rooster and buff orps together.

And put the reds together.

It's simple. You just need a lot of pens. [​IMG]

Put the silver laced in which ever pen is the lesser quality, and don't sell eggs.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    WELCOME TO BYC!!

So glad you found us.

4. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    One thing you need to remember -- don't ever breed two frizzled birds together. So make sure that you don't have frizzled roos in the same pens with frizzled hens. Other than that, have fun playing with the combinations!

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Is the roo that you're thinking of using with the Orps large fowl? I think that would be cool [​IMG]
    I agree with KinderKorner & Amazondoc [​IMG]

I rotate the free-ranging too. Right now my LF layers get out every other day, and the banties, roos, and juvies get out on the in-between days. Once I seperate the Juvies for breeding I don't know what I'm going to do. The big girls won't stand for being cooped in that much [​IMG]

6. Keri78

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    [​IMG] WOW!! You guys are GREAT!!! I've been baffled by this for weeks! I should have joined this group sooner(lol)!!!

My buff frizz. roo is a bantam but he should do ok with the buff orpie girls right?

And one more thought...if I put my blue/grey smooth cochin girl (I really don't know the difference between blue and grey...may be you guys could let me know how to tell) in with my black smooth cochin roo then they won't produce frizz. babies so would it be better to put her in with my white frizz roo or my buff frizz roo??? I'm not trying to question your advice just wondering if people would be more interested in smooth blue/grey babies or frizz. blue grey babies?

And just to clarify...it would be ok to put my silver laced cochin girl with my white frizz roo?

Why did you mention not selling eggs? Is there a better option? I'm a stay at home Mama to four wonderful boys and just trying to help out a little with my chickie project to make ends meet. I just recently ordered a couple extra chicks for a lady on craigslist and grew them out for her till they were 6 wks. old and then had them shipped to her! That was kinda fun! Ok...time to go take care of the babies! Blessings, Keri

7. Keri78

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    WOW!! You guys are GREAT!!! I've been baffled by this for weeks! I should have joined this group sooner(lol)!!!

My buff frizz. roo is a bantam but he should do ok with the buff orpie girls right?

And one more thought...if I put my blue/grey smooth cochin girl (I really don't know the difference between blue and grey...may be you guys could let me know how to tell) in with my black smooth cochin roo then they won't produce frizz. babies so would it be better to put her in with my white frizz roo or my buff frizz roo??? I'm not trying to question your advice just wondering if people would be more interested in smooth blue/grey babies or frizz. blue grey babies?

And just to clarify...it would be ok to put my silver laced cochin girl with my white frizz roo?

Why did you mention not selling eggs? Is there a better option? I'm a stay at home Mama to four wonderful boys and just trying to help out a little with my chickie project to make ends meet. I just recently ordered a couple extra chicks for a lady on craigslist and grew them out for her till they were 6 wks. old and then had them shipped to her! That was kinda fun! Ok...time to go take care of the babies! Blessings, Keri

Here's the link to our family blog!
    http://thewilfordfamilyhomestead.blogspot.com/

[Wife to my best friend and sweet Hubby Jim, Mama to our four precious blessings Jefferson 11, Benjamin 4, Lincoln James 2, and Washington 10mths.(we call Ashton) just trying to keep life as simple as possible and raise up some good Christian Patriot Men to serve the Lord and love our country. /quote]

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Well- you don't want to have ALL frizzle chicks. I'd buy some BBS (blue,black,splash) eggs [​IMG] I sell a few eggs here and there. It helps put a dent in the feed costs. I mostly sell eating eggs & chicks/started birds. If you want to legally ship eggs & chicks you have to get NPIP certified. It's only like $25. They come to your place and test some of your birds.

BTW- it's just "blue"

9. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Of what you have going on for birds, I would just be certain that you don't pair two frizzleds. Keep like colors & breeds together. All the others you can put into one pen and use their eggs for breakfast. [​IMG]

10. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    No. You want to keep the Blue hen in with the Black rooster.

People don't want eggs if the colors are mixed. So just make sure you keep the colors seperate.

Blue and Black work together. You can have them in the same pen because you will get both blue and black chicks without messing up the color genetics.

Oh and [​IMG]. Haha. I forgot my manners.

The silve laced is an extra. And you probably won't be able to sell her eggs mixed with another color. So I would stick her in with the least important birds. And just use them for eating eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by