Here's What's Cooking for Breakfast! - Goat Sausage!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by frugal, Mar 25, 2009.

1. frugal

frugal Songster

Aug 9, 2008
    NEK, Vermont
    Sausage Making: Goat Breakfast Sausage

[​IMG]

Here's What's Cooking for Breakfast!

Being new to raising Boer meat goats I'm still experimenting with different sausage spices. A few weeks ago I made up some goat sausage using an old standby recipe that I use primarily for rabbit sausage. It turned out being some of the best tasting sausage I've ever made. I decided to make it again just to make sure I didn't just
    adjust the recipe as I do so often and forgot I did it. Well I followed my recipe exactly this time and this is some of the finest breakfast sausage I've ever eaten, maybe the finest.

Here's the recipe:

Goat Breakfast Sausage

• 4 pounds boned goat meat
    • 1 pound pork fat
    • 1½ tablespoons rubbed sage
    • 1½ teaspoons sea salt
    • 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
    • 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
    • ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
    • ¾ teaspoon ground thyme
    • ¾ teaspoon ground basil
    • ¾ teaspoon ground marjoram
    • ½ teaspoon ground mace
    • ½ teaspoon ground coriander
    • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
    • ¼ teaspoon cayenne

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Your plate is lovely. I do duck egg waffles and berries all the time.

I am still having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of eating goat. Where I come from goat was never the catch of the day and I still have not convinced myself to try it. I know many people say it is like eating lamb but I find that to be a bit of stretch. The taste of lamb is affected by their lanolin and as goats do not produce lanolin I don't see how it could taste like lamb.

3. frugal

frugal Songster

Aug 9, 2008
    NEK, Vermont
    Quote:I'm Greek and grew up on lamb and the two are not the same. Goat is much closer to venison than anything else I've eaten.

When I was making my final decision on whether to raise Boers or not I dressed out an 18 month old whether and a 7 month old whether. The flavors were both uniquely different and I enjoyed each.

I raise production Dorsets for lamb and they are great. I dressed one out last week and roasted some on Sunday. Delicious.

This was my first time making waffles using a cast iron waffle maker on my wood cook stove...[​IMG]

4. I was game right up until the goat sausage.... The eggs and waffles sound yummy though...

5. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Will someone please ban Frugal [​IMG] .................................I'm so hungry right now.

6. Gumdrops

Gumdrops In the Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    Wittmann, Arizona
    Sounds awesome! I would try it in a heartbeat.

7. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Songster

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I [​IMG] your posts!! Your baking skills and recipes amaze me!! [​IMG]
    Keep up the good work and keep baking!!! [​IMG]
    Looks wonderful and I would love to try that if I only had some goat meat!! [​IMG]

8. wagc

wagc Hatching

Dec 22, 2014
    I just butchered my first goat. While doing it the bf took some scraps and threw them on the wood burning fireplace in the shop... without any seasoning whatsoever I have to say that goat has a really intense flavor that doesn't need spice, Its very good.... that been said I was going to make a link breakfast sausage. (might just stick with what you did) anyway is there any reason I couldn't use the goat fat instead of pork fat? Again the bf fried some up and he liked it and it didn't stick like deer does.

9. d1

d1 Songster

May 9, 2009
    Saucier,Ms.
    from my experience...the fat of goats/venison is sinew(more of a chaulky consistinsy) and will mess up the taste of the meat you are making sausge with.Pork fat is more oily.

Man I wish I was closer to Frugal....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: