Heritage breed bantams?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cottagechick, Aug 8, 2011.

1. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Is a "heritage breed" still a heritage breed if it is Bantam. Or are only LF heritage breeds?
    Thanks,
    Julie

2. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Quote:Yes bantams can herritage, cornish, Japanese,rosecombs,seabrights,oeg,sultans,modern games.
    Just to name a few [​IMG]

3. cottagechick

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Quote:Yes bantams can herritage, cornish, Japanese,rosecombs,seabrights,oeg,sultans,modern games.

But would it have to be a "True" Bantam to be heritage. For example, if I had a Brahma LF and a Brahma Bantam...only the LF would be Heritage? I think the ones you listed are "True Bantams."
    Thanks,
    Julie

4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010

But would it have to be a "True" Bantam to be heritage. For example, if I had a Brahma LF and a Brahma Bantam...only the LF would be Heritage? I think the ones you listed are "True Bantams."
    Thanks,
    Julie

No, I think they would still be considered "heritage." And all exept for the Old English, Sultans, and Moderns are true bantams (they have LF versions).

5. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    I don't believe a herritage bantam is a true breed of bantam. [​IMG]
    we might have to get Robert Blosl, in on this since he's the one who created the herritage thread & would be more familur with what it applies too.

The breeds I've listed were some of the first bantams in America and have been around and shown as far back as 1836-1870's .if that's not herritage I don't know what is ?
    there are other breeds listed in Americas first bantam shows
    Again just listed a few. [​IMG]

6. cottagechick

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Well, I don't know if it is the definitive be all/end all...but I was looking at this website. I noticed lots of birds that can be either lf or bantam...but wasn't sure if it applied to bantam..

http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/wtchlist.html

7. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    I would say the Pyncheon is an old American heritage Bantam....

8. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma

There were no heritage games divided by individual breeds. All game fell under game as recent 1874, I have a copy of the standard issued that year and game is game they did have bantam though.

i will agree with the Sebright and Sultan, I do not believe the cornish jap or rosecomb will fit either.

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

There were no heritage games divided by individual breeds. All game fell under game as recent 1874, I have a copy of the standard issued that year and game is game they did have bantam though.

i will agree with the Sebright and Sultan, I do not believe the cornish jap or rosecomb will fit either.

Why the Sebrights & Sultans but not the Rosecombs or Japanese Bantams? All were in the first Standard.
    The whole "Heritage" concept is spinning out of control. Until a definition is established, that all accept, pointless arguements like this will continue.

10. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:I agree. But, I have my doubts about this part.
    Until a definition is established, that all accept,

No "heritage" definition will make every one happy - we all want "heritage" to mean different things.
    Mitch​

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by