Heritage breed best suited for laying?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by whambam, Aug 9, 2013.

1. whambam

whambam Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2013
    Southwest
    So we are starting our little hobby farm. I have 9 chickens currently, non yet laying (but soon I hope!). We are starting a flock of Olde English Babydoll Sheep, a heritage breed and a small (miniature) sized sheep, to be herded by my Miniature American Shepherd. I have a miniature horse as well. However, I already have little cochin Bantams to keep with my mini theme, they are clearly more ornamental than anything. As of yet I have 2 Golden Comets & 4 Black Australorop as my future egg producers. I am thinking of adding some more hens, of a heritage breed that will also be a good layer of similar sized eggs so I can sell some eggs to offset the costs of feed. And maybe, breed said chickens and raise another heritage breed on our little farm (along side our future babydoll lambs). I'm getting into this heritage/rare/historic breed stuff.

Any recommendations? I'm not opposed to big birds but I'd like something moderately productive at laying eggs. Maybe one day we will eat our own chickens but I'm not keen on eating my pets just yet.

2. capayvalleychick

capayvalleychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Guinda CA
    Leghorns are probably the best egg layers and they are a heritage breed.

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think German New Hampshires and Barred Rocks are good ones, and if you can locate the old timey Heritage Rhode Island Reds, those are good ones. These RIR are nothing at all like the hatchery or feed store variety. They are much darker brown, and very non-agressive and docile birds. You might want to get on the Heritage Large Fowl Thread, and just start reading from today on, and you will find many of the top breeders on there willing to get people started in heritage birds.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Quote: Feb. or March hatched Sussex fowl are great winter layers. Now is the right time of year to buy some from a breeder who is downsizing his/her flock for the winter.
    Best,
    Karen

6. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    The German strain of New Hampshires would definitely fill the bill right here you are in luck too in the Southwest as there are a couple of NH breeders there that have some primo stock. I'm biased too (pusher) LOL J/S I like them a lot.

Jeff

7. whambam

whambam Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2013
    Southwest
    Wow thanks all for the responses! I will check out those breeds and that thread. We're loving the look of the light Sussex :). Time to go read up on your leads, thanks!

8. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    desertmarcy and cbnovick both are in AZ you will find them on the German NH thread

Jeff

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  9. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by