Heritage Breed Ducks Breeding and Standards

Fowl Explorer

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2015
Central Virginia
Hello! I'm looking for information about Breeding and Standards for Duck Breeds. The one I'm focusing on right now is the Silver Appleyard. I have 10 lovely SAs. This picture was taken before the last molt, while they were still less than 16 weeks old. I'd like to find other SA breeders and those knowledgeable about duck selection. The SA is a good egglayer and is in the heavyweight class.

Ducks are great! I am ceaselessly amused and perplexed by their activities and attitudes. The purpose for my ducks is for eggs and Japanese Beetle control in my orchard.

Since my 10 Silver Appleyards are from Holderread, I peruse his website and even bought the Silver Appleyard book. It is all good information, but my learning style is more hands-on. Venues to learn about ducks include: poultry shows, sales, swaps, Livestock Breed Conservancy clinics and conferences. County fairs aren't much good - usually one is lucky to find included a turkey, much less any waterfowl. To my way of thinking, getting a "1" on the card when there is no competition doesn't help much. Any other ideas?

In selecting the best bird for breeding, I have the knowledge, but need the experience of handling the fowl and knowing whether the structure under the feathers is good, bad, or indifferent for the purpose of the bird. In my case, that would be eggs, meat, and fertility/broodiness.

Barbara R
Mineral, VA

Back
Top Bottom