1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heritage Breeders in Western NC or reasonable distance (SC, GA, TN)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by jamband, Aug 23, 2011.

1. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I am looking for a flock (or at least enough for me to start one.) of high quality Heritage Dual purpose breeds. Something rather effecient. I want good egg production but a good table bird too. I know i wont get a cornish cross body and 300 eggs a year......BR, RIR seem to come up the most but I am open to other breeds for sure.

I had a flock this year that were really really poor quality and they all got sick etc......I want healthy birds.....more worried about production than SOP but want a good breeding bird....thank you

2. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    anyone?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, I have a quad of super good quality Barred Plymouth Rocks I'm growing out as my new foundation flock, but they are just at point of lay so no chicks or hatching eggs yet, no started birds to sell you at this point. The pullets are huge at 21 weeks old, the cockerel sweet tempered, so if you don't find what you're looking for, maybe at some point I can hatch you out some chicks. These are some big birds, slow to mature, healthy and beautiful, out of heritage lines. I'm 8/10 of a mile from the NC line in Fannin County, GA. I'll post a link to pics of them for you in Pictures and Stories.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7275636#p7275636

4. SuttonHeritageFarm

SuttonHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Jackson Springs, NC
    We are just starting out since we just purchased our farm and breeding stock in June, but next spring we will be offering a wide sellection of heritage poultry. I am sure we can help you pick out some lovely dual purpose breeds. We are located in central NC so should not be too far from you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by