Heritage Breeds You Prefer For Eating?

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
I'm thinking of getting a few going to freeze, Orginally I wanted pekin ducks (but all my hatches didn't go so well). So now I'm thinking a good heritage breed would be good so I can save a few for breeding, let me silkies hatch them and WALLA more yummy chicken.

As we don't eat beef or pork (hubby does a little but less then 1 time a week) this is definitely worth our time and the money!

Buckeye and/or Delaware

ETA: If you are going to try one of these or any hertitage breed, I would suggest getting them from a breeder, not a hatchery. Hatchery birds are typically breed for increased egg laying, not meat purposes. I would agree w/ Steve about the Marans as well. I honestly didn't realize they were a heritage breed. They are very solid birds, and have a distinct flavor.

Last edited:
Dark Cornish and Marans are our fav. Our diet has changed over the years as well here. We still eat some beef and pork but not very often, less than once a week now. I prefer deer to beef and with a freezer full of chicken, duck, turkey, quail, pheasant and guinea that gives alot of variety.

Steve

I have heard Faverolles, Marans, and Deleware are good for eating. You would have to seek out good breeding stock and not hatchery birds because hatchery favs and delewares are much smaller and less meaty. I know Melissa (pasofinofarm) eat here Marans, Ameraucana, and Faverolles. She said Faverolles are the best for eating.

Henry

Quote:
I may have to talk to you about buying some chicks for the purpose of meat raising. How would they do in a tractor coop so I could move them regularly?!

Our strain of DC tends to be on the flighty side so I don't know how that would work but the Cuckoo Marans are very calm natured. And actually you are in luck if you want to try some. We are in the process of rebuilding our DC flock and I know there will be extra cockerels if you want to try some. The Cuckoo's we are just now starting to collect eggs so it will be awhile for them. We are about 15 minutes from Washington,NC and 30-ish from Greenville if that helps distance wise.

Steve

Last edited:
Definitely let me know as the time gets closer. We're 30 minutes south west of Raleigh. I gotta learn the eastern part of the state better still. I know wilmington though... out there WAY too many times every year!!!
lol.png

Quote:
I'll see what we have going DC wise this weekend and let you know if you want to try them first. Mr attention to detail here I feed them twice a day and have no clue as how many there are. lol More than one and less than 100 is all I know.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom