Heritage breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kimicara, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Kimicara

Kimicara New Egg

Sep 18, 2011
    Im looking to buy a couple chickens to start with and would really like to buy off the heritage breed list. Any opinion on this? Do you think one breed is better than the other? I plan on using them for eggs and to sell to the local 4-h...nothing to extravagant. I haven't had chickens since I was a little girl so I'm basically a newbie lol.

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

here is the definition of heritage breeds;

Definition:

Heritage Chicken must adhere to all the following:

1. APA Standard Breed. Heritage Chicken must be from parent and grandparent stock of breeds recognized by the American Poultry Association (APA) prior to the mid-20th century; whose genetic line can be traced back multiple generations; and with traits that meet the APA Standard of Perfection guidelines for the breed. Heritage Chicken must be produced and sired by an APA Standard breed. Heritage eggs must be laid by an APA Standard breed.
    2. Naturally mating. Heritage Chicken must be reproduced and genetically maintained through natural mating. Chickens marketed as Heritage must be the result of naturally mating pairs of both grandparent and parent stock.
    3. Long, productive outdoor lifespan. Heritage Chicken must have the genetic ability to live a long, vigorous life and thrive in the rigors of pasture-based, outdoor production systems. Breeding hens should be productive for 5-7 years and roosters for 3-5 years.
    4. Slow growth rate. Heritage Chicken must have a moderate to slow rate of growth, reaching appropriate market weight for the breed in no less than 16 weeks. This gives the chicken time to develop strong skeletal structure and healthy organs prior to building muscle mass.

Chickens marketed as Heritage must include the variety and breed name on the label.

Terms like “heirloom,” “antique,” “old-fashioned,” and “old timey” imply Heritage and are understood to be synonymous with the definition provided here.

Abbreviated Definition: A Heritage Egg can only be produced by an American Poultry Association Standard breed. A Heritage Chicken is hatched from a heritage egg sired by an American Poultry Association Standard breed established prior to the mid-20th century, is slow growing, naturally mated with a long productive outdoor life.

The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy has over 30 years of experience, knowledge, and understanding of endangered breeds, genetic conservation, and breeder networks.

With that said, we love our Delawares and are working with three seperate blood lines at this time. Still working to get them back to APA standards but we are getting close.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Oh WOW! I would love to see pictures of your Delawares!

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Oh WOW! I would love to see pictures of your Delawares!

Hey Kathy
    I posted pics a long time ago on the Delaware thread. I need to take some new pics and post them but all the girls are in molt right now so we have a bunch of porcupines running around. I was hoping to show a couple of them for the first time in November but not sure they will be feathered back out by then. Once they feather out again I will get some pics and send them to you as well as post them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by