Heritage/Exhibition Delawares Hatched!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by speckledhen, Jul 10, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I was honored to be able to get some wonderful Delaware eggs from spectacular lines from seriousbill. They are strong, healthy babies, six of them in all (one still in the bator fluffing out) and here they are. Janet, the baby in the center of the first pic, the one with Star Power, is the line cross you mentioned. Thank you for trusting me with your precious babies! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. smpezzi

smpezzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Mid-Michigan
    Awwww They are too cute!!!!

3. homeandbarnbasics

homeandbarnbasics Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Tallassee, AL
    GREAT LOOKING LITTLE BIRDS!!!! Please do keep us informed. It's so great to see more Delaware fans out there.

4. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    I WANT!!!! Send any extra pullets my way. [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

I didn't used to be a big fan, let me tell you. This is my second attempt at the breed, but the first time, I got hold of some aggressive strain the hatcheries are passing off as the real mccoy. They were beautiful, but mean little suckers. Got rid of all of them, even the pullets. I swore off the breed forever, or until seriousbill made me an offer I couldnt refuse, LOL.
    Oh, sorry, Corey, my good friend. There won't be any extras out of this batch. And someone from BYC already has claimed a cockerel, if I have two. Listen to me, IF...hahaha.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  6. homeandbarnbasics

Jun 29, 2008
    Tallassee, AL
    Thank you for your dedication to the breed. Hopefully you will be happier with these. Just be sure to pass it on and give someone else a deal they can't refuse when thse little ladies start producing.

7. speckledhen

I hope to do just that. I'm betting I'm going to be hooked now. The parent stock is spectacular.

8. homeandbarnbasics

Jun 29, 2008
    Tallassee, AL
    Yeah probably your hooked! there are so few Delawares that you have a terrific chance to make an impact on the entire breed. Cull the ones with undesirable traits (or at least don't breed them) and breed the ones that you think will enhance all Delawares as a whole. Pass those traits on in your next generation and before you now it, you will have the "speckledhen" strain of the Delaware Breed. LOL

9. speckledhen

LOL, we're getting ahead of ourselves, but who knows, right? My hubby will roll his eyes when I tell him I want to keep Delawares in addition to my Blue Orpingtons and the main laying flock.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sweet little chicks Cyn! Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by