We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Heritage Farm Chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Manhen, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Manhen

Manhen Chirping

Jul 15, 2019
    Illinios
    Hello all, I have recently moved to a family farm of 125 years. It has been furloughed for a few years since the last real "farmer" in the family died a few decades ago. I have taken it upon myself to restore an old hip-roofed barn of 1500 ft2, but larger animals are not for me so I will be raising chickens in it all. 1/3 has been cleaned out (30 year old manure, fellow didn't clean up after his last herd of sheep..., cows, and horses...and its ok!) and predator fencing base has been laid into the barn floor with pavers as the base to support the fence/sills, posts, etc. and structures in the coop. The pavers were filled around with 25% quickcrete mixed with dirt with the same mixture in some of the low and wetter spots (a lot of underground water in this area) The barn was fed from a roof draining cistern with a pump in the barn. Don't know if it works still, will find our though. I am thinking breeding pens and rooster cages. There is room for free range layers by the barn, and in the back acres there is room for several chicken tractors, corn growing, and a lot of 30 years unkempt growth. There is water, 4 acre deep lake and several streams that do go dry. I am wondering what all of y'all think of any red flags in this scenario. Except for contentedness. :)

My cousin's spouse recommended this site, and I am tempted to start a bunch of threads with topics that relate to my issues. Is it poor taste to "spam" 5-10 threads at once?

2. Meg-in-MT

Meg-in-MT Crossing the Road

Jan 29, 2018
    SW Montana
    Hello! Welcome to BYC!! :frow

Sounds like quite the undertaking! You may want to start with a couple threads, easier to keep track of ;)

Feel free to check out the links below for some interesting reading. Good luck on your adventures!

3. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Crossing the Road

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello,:frow and a warm welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have you here with us. Good luck with raising chickens!

4. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Pictures would be awesome.

5. CluckNDoodle

CluckNDoodle Crowing

Jan 12, 2019
    Georgia
    :welcome Welcome to BYC! It sounds like you have an incredible adventure ahead of you! I bet it's going to be amazing when you're done! Don't forget to take before pictures so you can really show off how much progress you've made when you're done, lol!

6. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Hello Manhen.
    Welcome to BYC.
    Poor taste shouldn't be an issue here. I've got away with mine so far.....
    Love to see some pictures as the various projects develop.

7. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    :yuckyuck

Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

rjohns39, 007Sean, fldiver97 and 7 others like this.
  8. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki TwatterSpotter

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    rjohns39, 007Sean, fldiver97 and 8 others like this.
  9. Manhen

Manhen Chirping

Jul 15, 2019
    Illinios
    Pictures of what was under sheep manure for 30 years? Just kidding. I have to move them to the site soon. I have been collecting photos....

I guess this is about chickens. I have 27 3 week old chicks, and 25-30 more coming in 12 days. Chirpy chirpy cheep cheep.

Each order included 15 layers for a rainbow basket, dominiques, leghorns for fun time....

10. CluckNDoodle

CluckNDoodle Crowing

Jan 12, 2019
    Georgia
    Sounds like the perfect start to a chicken love story! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: