Heritage Hens for Profit?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Ramblin Rooster, Dec 26, 2012.

Do you make any money from your chickens?

Poll closed Mar 31, 2014.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ramblin Rooster

Ramblin Rooster Hatchaholic

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    I have heard people who breed certain breeds of heritage chickens to perfection and sell them, or their eggs for thousands of dollars. Assuming they meet the needs and looks of good show quality would they REALISTICALLY make you any money? I have heard that no one can make ANY money in chickens, you rarely make back half of what you spent, but would this be an exception?

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    You definately heard right. There are people who crank out those perfect chickens like they had a copy machine & those thousands of dollars each just start rolling in. You should get in on it before the market gets flooded. It's really pretty easy.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You've heard that, eh? LOL

Don't believe much of what you hear and only half of what you see. You'll be alright.

4. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    If I did any breeding it wouldn't be very good. I would be all "but that one was so cute when it was little! What? Feathers on its legs? Oh ya Buff Orpingtons are supposed to have black on their necks and feathers on their legs." Just joking. :) [​IMG]

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

Fred's one of those ones making the big money. He just doesn't want to share that's why he's trying to discourage you. I gave you the real answer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by