Heritage large fowl best eggs and breed .

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by thfrank, Dec 26, 2013.

1. thfrank

thfrank Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2013
    I was wondering what is everyone favorite large fowl and what is the best egg laying large fowl.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Good egg layers: If speaking of heritage and non-hybrid breeds available in the US.
    IMO For brown eggs, RIR, Australorps, Delawares
    For white eggs, Leghorns, Minorcas, Anconas, Hamburgs, Fayoumi and Jaerhons.

My favorites are Black Penedesencas, Jersey Giants (all 3 colors), Minorcas (white and black), Anconas, Jaers and Welsummers.

3. thfrank

Dec 25, 2013
    I have been thinkin about tryin the jersey giant

4. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    My favorite is the Langshan. Best egg laying would be a Leghorn or other mediterranean breed (Ancona, Andalusian, Minorca, Spanish, Catalana, Buttercup) or something like a Hamburg.

There's been some recent discussion on this in the Heritage Fowl thread. It will matter a lot where you go to get them and your willingness to breed and select for the characteristics that are important to you.

5. thfrank

Dec 25, 2013
    What would be good characteristics to look for .

6. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    There's two books you should read if you're serious about poultry, The Standard of Perfection (available for purchase on the American Poultry Association web store) and "The Call of the Hen" by Walter Hogan, which Google has as a free ebook download. That should help you out.

7. thfrank

Dec 25, 2013
    Thanks so much I will do the ebook download

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by