heritage meat bird???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jessicayarno, Oct 12, 2011.

1. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    What breed do you all recommend trying for a good meat bird that doesn't take too long to grow out, and yeilds a good decent size bird, that isn't too tough... I am not looking for a cornish x size bird, but would like them to weigh 3-4lbs processed... I really would like to be able to raise my own meat birds and not rely on a hatchery.. What breed of roo could I put with my hens and use what I already have listed in my sig.... thanks

2. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd go with a nice Cornish rooster. Find one from a breeder. These are really a meat bird, although they may take longer to grow out, seems all the heritage breeds do.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:x2

Nothing will grow as fast as a cornish X has but for meat you can't beat a regular Cornish. They just don't grow as fast. Crosses like you'll get with cornish roo over your birds will likely grow faster than the pure breed, though.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  4. oneofseven

oneofseven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
    I've heard Heritage BRs are pretty meaty. I have a pullet and she is pretty big.

5. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Check into Delawears thats what they were made for, meat & eggs.

6. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Thank you all.. I am going to get some delawares and go from there, seems to be the bird everybody suggests.. I have one hen that is older than old and she is really sweet, so i know they have a good disposition.. Would anybody suggest I cross them myself to get a hardier bigger bird... I know hatchery stock isn't going to give me the best bird to start with... Thanks

7. AbbyDog

AbbyDog Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    I just to comment that my 2 yr old Delaware hen is a nightmare! She is sooo nasty to the other 5 hens and to us as well. If she wasn't the only one laying right now, we would eat her (she is not only mean but also a pig). She was bossy from the get-go as a chick and hasn't looked back. I do wonder if my other hens aren't laying as they are too harassed by "Dolly". Just another example of how chickens really do have individual personalities. Good luck with your flock.

8. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:No issue with mine they are the sweetest girls in the coop I have them and my light Brahmas housed together and the Dellys are the first to greet me at the door and come when I call. They are great with each other. No problems.

9. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Naked necks are a really nice dual purpose bird to cross.
    They get huge, are bred to be dual purpose, lay big, brown eggs, are gentle, heat and cold hardy.
    Even Hubbard uses them for some of their International meat bird crosses.

10. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:I have never owned a turken but I know that from the pics I have seen on here that they seem to be big birds. Worth giving them a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by