Heritage meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by shaninsky, Dec 9, 2014.

1. shaninsky

shaninsky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2014
    I am looking for suggestions for heritage meat birds that will tolerate the Canadian climate if not processed in the fall. I am consideing Plymouth Barred Rocks, or Cochins.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Why not consider your own nation's bird, the Chantecler? For all intents and purposes, it is to Canada what the Buckeye was to Ohio and Miss Nettie.

3. JediJinx

JediJinx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Ohio
    I too am interested in raising a sustainable and hardy flock of birds we can eat, and not have to buy chicks every year and not have to butcher all at once. We eat way more chickens than eggs, so egg laying performance does not have to be excellent.

I have not read this entire forum so sorry if this has been discussed to death already. Here are some heritage breed suggestions I have read before:

Delaware
    Sussex
    New Hampshire Red
    Dorking
    Buckeye

We are looking for size and taste, and hopefully something that can stand the cold and doesn't take 9 months to mature. Broodiness is also a plus. Do Chanteclers make a good meat bird??

4. mariacp

mariacp Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2014
    I'm not sure if the Silver Penciled Rocks are heritage, but they mature by 20 weeks. With weights from 7.5 to 9.5. They are very good free rangers and all weather types hardy. Plus they lay well. I was just looking at adding some to my flock. And! They are very pretty :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by