Heritage or Production Rhode Island Red

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stormyhorses98, Aug 23, 2016.

1. stormyhorses98

stormyhorses98 Just Hatched

Aug 20, 2016
    I was wondering what everyone thought about my rooster (and the girls if you care to) is a Heritage or Production Rhode Island Red... he is slightly darker in real life than in the pictures. I was just curious it doesn't matter to me if he is or isn't.... he is a very sweat boy and he is good to my girls and has never been aggressive towards people so he will be staying no matter what.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Production, an old Heritage line would be much darker.

3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

x2. I've heard of heritage RIRs being jokingly referred to as a "Black Tailed Black" because of how dark their plumage is.

4. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    He's a very nice looking fellow.

Om another note, I'm a rookie chicken raiser myself and always hear about the differences between production and heritage birds. I want to start breeding birds this winter and I'm wondering if you can take production birds and selectively breed them back into a heritage bird? I'll only be breeding for egg laying and not show but I was just curious if it's possible because I've had an awfully hard time locating breeders for Brown Leghorns so I just went with hatchery birds to get my feet wet until I can locate good stock. I know it's best to start with heritage birds but if that ain't happenin' can it be done. I'm thinking it could but would just take longer. If anyone has any insights I'm all ears.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Hatchery Brown Leghorns aren't really too bad. You may need to work on cleaning up some coloring issues, but overall, they aren't terrible quality.

6. stormyhorses98

stormyhorses98 Just Hatched

Aug 20, 2016
    Good question! I don't really know about that... it's definatly an interesting thought. I was just asking because he is the darkest of all my RIR's... I love them all and I don't care about their lines as long as they are happy healthy birds I am currently hatching and I really love his color so I hope that some of the chicks have his darker coloring because he looks so pretty!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    X 3 Gray farms

8. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Ideally you'd want to find an excellent heritage rooster to breed to. And save back the pullet to breed back to him. Do this for about 2-3 years saving back the best pullets. Then the third or fourth year get another quality heritage rooster to breed to "ideally from a different bloodline".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by