Heritage Poultry Swap, Western NC, March 9th

pcchickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 11, 2013
Shelby, NC
Hi everyone, I work for the Polk County Office of Ag Development, and we're putting on a heritage poultry swap as part of our 1st Annual Polk's Folk Farmer Day, which is more or less a heritage day. So if you live in Western NC or Upstate SC, we would be thrilled to have you bring birds. The event is free and will take place at the Mill Spring Ag Center from 9AM to 2PM on March, 9th. This is our first time putting on a poultry swap, so any advice on what makes a good poultry swap is also welcome. So far, we have these for our rules:

1) Bring your own cages, dog crates, etc to keep the birds in, and have an appropriate amount of birds per cage. NO OVERCROWDED CAGES.
2) Bring your own feed and water to get the birds through the day
3) BRING ONLY HEALTHY BIRDS
4) If bringing chicks, please bring a brooder lamp to keep them warm.
5) If you don’t already have one, we highly encourage everyone to get a Poultry Dealer license from the North Carolina Department of Agriculture. It is FREE if you’re selling adult poultry, and cost $10 if you sell chicks. It takes about 7 to 10 days to get through the mail. Here is a link to the registration form:
http://www.ncagr.gov/vet/forms/documents/PoultryDealerLicenseApplicationForm_Blank_04_12.pdf

Hopefully, we'll have a good turn out. We'll also have an indoor farmers market, heirloom seed swap, and quilt display going on as well, so it should be a lot to see and do. At 1pm we'll have Bill Thompson from Our State Magazine speaking about rural heritage and telling stories in the auditorium. So if you're in the area, by all means stop by. If you would like to bring birds, you can just send me a pm and i'll get you the contact info.

So far we have people bringing:

Modern Games
Jersey Giants
Cochins
Golden Phoniexs
Black Copper Marans and Blue Marans
Americaunas

hatching eggs of various breeds
baby chicks of various breeds

I won't be able to bring anything, because I won't be able to send away for my chick and egg liecense until the 3rd :( o well, I'll advertise that I have :) and have more time to 'shop'

Back
Top Bottom