1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heritage RIR hatching eggs wanted in SW Fla

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Knight Hawk Ranch, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    I have production RIR from a hatchery and want to improve on my stock with better quality RIR. Anyone have some hatching eggs available, say end of Jan?

2. Eggzactly

Eggzactly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    marietta
    Im looking for some too.

3. ItsSuzzie

ItsSuzzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok you guys, I have hatchery RIR. What is this Heritage bird thing. And, how does the Heritage RIR differ from a hatchery RIR?

Every now and again I herar some breed being a heritage breed.

4. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    From what I understand, the RIR that you get from a hatchery are Production RIR. Bred to produce a lot of eggs, usually crossed on something else back somewhere in the ancestory.

Heritage are ones that have been bred to stay true to the orignal type of the breed. These are the ones that are usually shown and may not produce as many eggs as a 'production' bred bird.

5. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Hatchery birds have generally been crossed with other breeds, usually the Leghorn or the New Hamphire, to increase egg laying. Heritage birds are the old-time original RIRs. They are generally larger and darker than the hatchery version. RIRs are supposed to be a dual purpose breed, good for both eggs and meat. Most hatchery birds are just too light for a meal. The heritage birds are still dual purpose. Hens are good eggers and the roos still make a decent meal.

Temperament of the heritage birds is different too. Hens are real sweeties and often so are the roos. The hatchery birds I had, the hens were flighty and the roos were flat-out mean.

HTH

6. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  7. ladywolfe

ladywolfe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Georgia
    Hi i'm kinda new to breeding chickens but i have been breeding rir for almost a year. i will have some eggs for sell soon if anybody's interested i live in south Georgia new to mailing/shipping eggs but will be happy to see what happens my fertility has been 95% have hatched a whole lot of these chickens and i think my birds are beautiful.here are some pics of Terminator and his girls.

http://s427.photobucket.com/albums/pp360/chickenbunch/The Reds/

post message me if you are interested.

We were just npip tested dec. 22,2008

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by