Heritage Turkey Breeding Pen Requirements

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lucky KY Chicks, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Lucky KY Chicks

Lucky KY Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Kentucky
    I'm interested in getting several more heritage turkey breeds. I would like to set up 8x8 or 8x10 mobile hoop coops for the breeders to live in. They would be locked in these pens continuously during breeding season but would free range in the off season or I could let one group free range at a time and rotate the days. I would like them to brood in these coops as well. I could remove the tom and set one coop up as a broody coop once I get several going. My question is how many breeders will fit comfortably in a coop this size when it is moved to fresh pasture every day or every other day? What about after they hatch young? Also, if poults have their mom, are night time predators like least weasel a problem? The coops would be covered in 2"x4" wire but I could go smaller.

2. KayHartZZ

KayHartZZ Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2015
    I'd suggest something smaller than the 2" by 4" wire at least at the bottom half or so to be safer, I think a poult or at least a poult's head can fit through.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding ? your plan but if you move their breeding pens or broody pens how is the hen going to build up a clutch and then go broody and sit on her eggs?

3. Lucky KY Chicks

Lucky KY Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Kentucky
    Good suggestion on the wire! Like baby saver wire for rabbits. The nesting boxes will be attached to the pen and move with it. This is another question I had. Will moving the pen cause her to much stress before she goes broody? After she goes broody the pens won't have to move much or at all due to their inactivity unless I get one going broody while 3 others aren't. In that case I would look into only moving the broody into a dog kennel in the barn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by