Heritage Turkey Hatchery...opinions?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayyjayy, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Has anyone ordered ducks through these guys? They seem to have Anconas still available (I think), and am thinking of ordering if they are availabe. Anyone order from them? I want Anconas soooo bad....can't find any that are still available. What do you think of this hatchery??

Thanks!

2. wades7

wades7 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    what hatchery?

3. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Heritage Turkey Hatchery.

4. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    You know, I really like their anconas compared to the other hatcheries that I have found. Belive me, I did my research! However, I am not as fond of the service and communication....

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  5. Chicken Crazy12

Chicken Crazy12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    communication is horrible with this hatchery....... Also don't expect to be getting any dates as to when your birds will ship because you will get many responses that don't ever answer your question and your still left waiting for that email that says they shipped them...... if you ever get the email anyway.

This hatchery gets 1 out of 5 Stars from me..... because of their poor customer service and lack of communication.

2 people like this.
  6. ancona_crazy

ancona_crazy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2011
    You know, I have been in communication with them for two years and have found them to be very quik on thier toes! I was sad not to be able to get ducklings from them this year and hope to next year as I have had the best experience with them compared to any other hatchery that I have come across. They do have great anconas at great prices as far as I am concerned! By the way Cayote night acres... I love the anconas in your profile pics! They are quite lovely ;)

7. Chicken Crazy12

Chicken Crazy12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Thanks Ancona Crazy, They are a result of some seriously hard work culling and breeding.

I can finally give a full review on Heritage Turkey Hatchery........ They finally came so here was my experience.

Contacted them using their contact us form on their website to make sure that there was someone on the other line before sending my money through paypal...... few days go by nothing back. So I emailed them again asking if I ordered then when I would get them and to make sure that someone was going to receive my order if I sent the money and finally after a day I heard back from them.

They said I should expect my ducklings in April if I ordered right away.

So I ordered and never received any order confirmation from the hatchery itself just the paypal receipt. Then I waited........ Not hearing anything bugged me a bit so I emailed again asking if they received my order and they responded Yes.

April rolls around Nothing no word.

I emailed them to see when the ducklings would be coming and they responded that they don't even start shipping until May and that I needed to be Patient......

At this point I'm thinking..... They lied to me and they have my money and are telling me to be patient. Hmmmmm....... not feeling so good about this.

Then May rolls around and towards the latter part of may I emailed again asking when the ducklings were coming again and several days went by with no response. Sent another email telling them that I need to know something and the next day I get an email that says they shipped them out that day and if their are any problems to take it up with the post office.

Red flag should have went up when they said that in the email to let me know they shipped the ducklings. 2 days later the ducklings showed up at our PO and we were called in early to come get them at the back door. I opened them up and found 1 dead and the rest in not so good shape. They looked sickly and their eyes were not very wide open so we rushed them home not even worrying about the dead one. Put them in the fresh brooder and made everyone drink some save a chick within hours all but 1 was doing better so we made sure everyone was eating and after a couple more hours the 1 had picked up as well. I got a chance to count them all at that point and their were no extras sent not even of the assorted ducklings that I ordered to fill the rest of the order. I was so done with that hatchery so I didn't mess with the 1 death. Looking at the rest of them it sure looked like some were older than the others so although I cant be positive I really think that some of the ducklings were older than 24hrs at shipping time and therefor did not ship as well since they were at the end of their egg yolk reserves.

So would I ever go back and order from them again? NO. I'm glad to have my ducklings finally but I would never recommend them to someone nor would I ever order from them again. I guess after always ordering from Holderread year after year I've become spoiled to excellent customer service and ducklings that literally jump out of the box because they are full of vigor.

I like having a projected month that the ducklings will be coming and I understand if there are issues with hatches that slow things up, but I would like to be told about these issues not just brushed to the side and told to be patient.

8. OERabbits

OERabbits New Egg

Mar 4, 2012
    WA.
    Heritage Turkey Hatchery/Plum Run Hatchery

I placed an order in early Jan., I never head back from them.
    They do bill your card the day the order is placed, and did not send a receipt.
    They did not call to let me know my order had shipped. Luckily I checked my e-mail and saw that it had shipped, June 5th. the ducks arrived the 6th. severely overcrowded, 21 stuffed in a 7X10' box. 4 dead, 2 more dying, leg/foot deformities, the rest are sick (eyes crusty)...
    There is no way to contact this company except by e-mail and wait...
    I filed a claim at the post office when I got the box... But I must have the company respond to proceed... Still waiting...
    Got a response from the Company, by email. I was told to file a claim, nothing more.

I would not recommend them in-light of the poor customer service, poor shipping conditions, and health....

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  9. chuffman

chuffman Just Hatched

May 28, 2013
    Wow! Wish I had been made aware of this (these) complaints before I had tried to buy from them.... to say I would not recommend them is an understatement. Details to follow... but for now, if you are unable to find a phone number for plum run poultry or even heritage hatchery, and a little voice in your head is saying "warning", PAY ATTENTION.

1 person likes this.
  10. farmertom

farmertom New Egg

May 23, 2013
    i just recieved my goose and duck order from them last month. i have waited since march of last year. i had them put me on the waiting list. i hear it is hard to even get an order in. i waited. i asked them when they would ship and they said it was first come first serve. i am glad i waited. i ordered from another hatchery and they are nowhere close to the ones i recieved from plum run. i am going to show them in the fair this year and will share the results. i will put in a picture when i can figure out how

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by