Heritage turkey source for January?

Noellereagan

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jun 20, 2018
Big Bend, Wisconsin
I’ve looked and called all over to no avail. I need an early poult of the heritage variety for an early county fair. None of the hatcheries offer January poults for obvious reasons. But there’s a guy around here with red burbons that stages an early spring so they hatch out poults just after the first of the year. And I live in Wisconsin where it’s COLD at that time! But anyway, this breeder supplies most of the people who enter their turkeys at the county fair with heritage birds. An older heritage of this breeder always wins. But I don’t want the same bloodlines. I want an early poult that’s something new from someone else for my son to show. Does anyone have a source for a really REALLY high quality bird that I can get sometime shortly after Jan 1. Price is no concern (to some degree). I just want a game changer to shake things up around here. This has been going on for years. And anyone who comes in with high quality but younger bird doesn’t fair well at this... fair. Thanks for any help?!

There are a lot of breeders of heritage turkey in the following link.
https://agriculture.mo.gov/animals/pdf/poultry_yearbook.pdf
That time of year will be problematic.

My advice is to get good birds early-mid summer, raise them up and with a lighting program, you can get them to breed and lay by November. Set some the middle of December and they'll be on time for you.
That way, they'll be your stock, not something you bought from someone as show eye candy and didn't have any input into other than feeding.

Back
Top Bottom