heritage turkeys in Alaska?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ninjapoodles, Jul 23, 2008.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I have a friend in Fairbanks who would love to buy (already processed for the table) heritage turkey to eat. Does anyone know of a grower/seller of heritage turkeys in the Alaskan interior? (Or nice free-range chicken, for that matter. Hmmm...that would be tricky up there, I'd imagine!)

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Hmmm... not sure who's in Fairbanks, but there are a couple of people close by. I don't have the heritage breeds (yet), and the distance would make it just a tad cost-prohibitive. [​IMG]

Suggest they post an ad on Craigslist?

3. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    How far is Sterling from Fairbanks? I've lived in Anchorage for a short time (fell in love with it), and traveled kind of along the coast, but I never went into the interior. I love Alaska. This friend of mine would love to keep a small laying flock, but she doesn't think she could make them a very good life (and also worried that it's illegal where she lives) in harsh weather. I keep telling her how many Alaskans are on this board!

(She also owns and shows dogs of my breeding, so would have to make a VERY secure run!)

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Sterling is on the Kenai Peninsula...~ 12.5 hours driving from Fairbanks. There's Leslie in North Pole, just outside of Fairbanks and I'm sure there's others. [​IMG]
    I can't imagine that it would be illegal to keep chickens there unless she's is a very strict housing development... it's pretty rural.

5. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Are there discussion threads already here somewhere about chicken-keeping in harsh weather? I got this friend hooked on showing dogs--I'd LOVE to spread the chicken addiction, as well. [​IMG]

The most beautiful drive I ever took in my life was the drive from Anchorage down to Homer. WOW. That's an amazing place you live in, and I'm pretty jealous.

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    You went right by our house then... Sterling is just East of Soldotna. [​IMG]

There are some threads... I can't seem to put my finger on them just now, but if you search for "Winter" "Alaska" "insulation"... stuff like that, it should bring up some threads.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by