1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hermaphadite chickens???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by footballcoachmiller, Jan 18, 2010.

1. footballcoachmiller

footballcoachmiller Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2009
    Dandridge, TN
    I have 15 roosters but I have this one rooster ( a buff orp.) that all the other roosters attack and run him off as soon as i let them out in the morning. There will be 5 to 8 roosters pinning him to the ground and they act like they are mating with him. He is around 8 months old with large comb and wattles and has never laid an egg. I dont think i have ever heard him crow though.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. South Hill Chickens

South Hill Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    Wow. That is a LOT of roos. I have seen the alpha roo mount a lesser roo before in friends' flocks (being in the City I don't have any roos myself) and I always figured it was akin to dogs mounting each other as a display of dominance.

Then again, there are those octopus in the Pacific that mate male to male from time to time . . . [​IMG]

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I don't think it's very likely that you have a hermaphaditic roo... it's more likely that he is just the unfortunate one who got pushed to the bottom of the pecking order. So all the other "big boys" gang up on him to assert themselves.

Have you considered rehoming some of your roosters? Do you need that many?

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    He is low man on the totem pole. You need to lessen the numbers. He is not crowing because he does not want to draw attention to himself and compete with the other roos. They are not trying to mate him they are being dominate with him...they may eventually hurt him or worse.

5. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you have a lot of roos and this orpington guy is at the low end of the pecking order and is being molested as a result of his low status.

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with all the posts. You have to do something about those numbers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by