hermaphrodite? or rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mssmartypantsxx, Nov 6, 2013.

1. mssmartypantsxx

mssmartypantsxx Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2013
    New Zealand
    Okay, so recently my dad bought 3 hens and we got one so called hermaphrodite chicken for free. When he brought them home to us we settled them in then let our rooster meet them (yeah yeah, i know it's a bit soon but he was lonely). He attacked poor hermy so we took him out of there. The woman who sold us hermy stuck her fingers up the poor chickens butt and said it was definitely female by the bone structure.And as you can see it looks very much like a boy but some how it just acts like a girl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and if it is a hermy will my rooster ever like it?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  2. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Looks like a rooster to me.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Minorca hens get large combs and wattles. Without a clear good profile picture I can't determine if it's pullet or cockerel. It vary well could be pullet. Look for saddle feathers and does it crow?
    [​IMG]

4. mssmartypantsxx

Nov 6, 2013
    New Zealand
    doesnt crow, and what are saddle feathers?

5. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Saddle feathers are long skinny pointy feathers that drape from the back/base of tail downward
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. mssmartypantsxx

Nov 6, 2013
    New Zealand
    [​IMG]

this is the comb, and nope it has feathers just like our hens

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Could you get some clearer side-profile photos? The hens of certain breeds develop large combs/wattles just like the roosters, so your bird could certainly be a hen. But it could also be a rooster--I need to see its feathering and stance to tell for sure.

8. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    WIthout seeing better photos, hard to be sure, but I bet with your description it is a Minorca hen.

As to your roo. Hard to tell. Some chickens just don't like some chickens especially if they look substantially different. (Funny how birds of a feather DO really tend to stick together).

Give it time and space and a watchful eye and likely they will come to tolerate each other. It's always best to quarantine new birds for at least 2 weeks, then slowly introduce them to your existing flock through a see through fence until everyone gets more or less used to seeing each other, then integrate.

At that point you will have some minor skirmishes as the pecking order gets established but none should draw blood or terrorize a bird to ill health. If that happens separate the offenders again until the injured bird is recovered and the aggressive bird has calmed down (or gotten knocked down a notch or two in the pecking order through its own isolation).

Lady of McCamley

EDITED TO ADD: and yes better photos would help for certain identification....if it is a roo you may not have peace with your older roo as some simply don't like any competition with the hens.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like a hen but need better pics

10. mssmartypantsxx

Nov 6, 2013
    New Zealand
    yup it's a hen. The rooster's accepted her now. Thanks guys

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by