Hermit crab people? Need help with molt.

Chickengal505

Songster
10 Years
Jan 4, 2010
Bolivia N.C
My herimet crab Tiny has always kinnda hidden in other shells and under my other hemit crabs and refuses to come out of his shell when he knows i can see him. Today I noticed what looked like a molting "tunnel" under the bath shell. I've never had a hermit crab molt and don't know what it looks like
sad.png
. Hoping its not a molt 'cause h e and his three other buddies were supposed to particapate in a science project. Finding there way through a maze not like testing soap and stuff...
sad.png
any advice would be very helpful thanks.

Mine have molted a time or two.. I have only seen it happen once though. But it looks just like the hermit crab does sort of. Their whole outer skin comes off, sort of like a snake. If you can pick one up and look at his claws you will notice a white (or dry) looking color that is different from it's normal skin color. That will usually indicate it is about to start a molt. Hope this helps!!

It's pretty cool when they molt. I would just leave him alone and let nature take its course. Ours never had any problems with its molt, it was an only crab though.

I don't know how different terrestrial hermit crabs are from the aquatic ones, but I have a large saltwater hermit crab, and when it molts, it just sheds its exoskeleton and hides in its shell for a couple days until the new shell has hardened again.

they will molt ...do not bother him if u do u will most likely end up with 2 hermit crabs no longer 3
so molting is good...it means they are growing...they will eat the exoskeleton becaause it has extra nutrients

Back
Top Bottom