hernia burst on our hen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by teachermom24, Sep 25, 2010.

1. teachermom24

teachermom24 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2009
    Our hen, Goldie, has been carrying around a hernia for several months. This morning we found her sitting on the roost in the coop with the hernia opened and entrails oozing out. Certainly, this is fatal, but I don't know what to do. Do I just let nature take its course and wait for her to die, or do I euthanize her--if so, how? I have never killed a chicken before and she is a beloved pet of my 11yo son, our chicken caretaker.

Please tell me what to do ASAP!

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I would euthanize her immediately. Cervical separation either through beheading with an axe or breaking her neck using the rake method. You could take her to a vet to have a heart stick done, but that is costly and IMO worse than doing a quick neck break. The neck is easy to break and quick. Place a rake on the ground with her head on one side of the teeth her body on the other. While holding the rake down, grab her feet and yank quickly. Don't be squeamish about your pull or you will just hurt her and not kill her. You should achieve separation and she may flap a bit, but that is just nervous reaction.

I am so sorry for you and your family. Losing pets is never easy.

Good luck.

3. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    I find a very sharp machete to be better than an axe. The shorter blade of an axe has caused us to commit a partial beheading one time, which I did NOT like. The longer blade of a sharp machete ensures that 'we' cleanly lop off the head, eliminating any suffering.

4. teachermom24

teachermom24 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2009
    Thank you, the deed is done (via the rake method).

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Sorry.

6. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    rake method???? How is this accomplished????

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Nearby vet?

So sad - so sorry.

JJ

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Read my first post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by