hernia????????

MaureenL128

Songster
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Long Island, NY
Ok so I posted last week about my silver laced wyandotte having flystrike. We got the maggot problem under control but she was left with this mass sticking out of the skin that ruptured. It has dried out and the skin around is healing back so we can't push it inside her anymore. She is back to her old self and doesn't seem in pain. We have been using blue kote on her to help her heal. Is there anything we can do for this mass? Will it heal over somehow?

Yikes. I've never seen anything quite like it. It could be a hernia caused by the attack from the flies. Keep it clean and make sure it doesn't get pecked at or infected. Otherwise, I'm not sure what else to do. Does it appear to be her organs at all or is there skin over it?

It doesn't seem to be intestines or organs. Maybe the next layer of muscle or skin? I can't push it back in. Idk what to do! there are no avian vets around here

I would treat it with a warm epsom salt soak every day, followed by applying an antibiotic ointment such as plain Neosporin twice a day. Chickens can heal amazingly well.

Back
Top Bottom