Herniated disc, back surgery anyone?

AkTomboy

Songster
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
DJ, Alaska
So anyone else had a back surgery due to a herniated disc? Here is the rundown of what is causing me to have one.

Oct 14, 08 I fell over 12 feet off a mountain while elk hunting and then walked threw water that was up to my chest another two miles back to camp (not an approximant distance). Then made the hubby and his brother go in a change while I hung our meat up and the tarp to get it out of the rain that just had to start right after I fell and was still pinned under the log. By the way its great having two southern paramedics who are brothers saying the exact same thing at the same time to make you laugh while your face is pouring out blood to make things just a bit better...

The list of injuries from that lovely fall was in order of occurrence sprained ankle – right foot stopped the fall on a rock then launched me forward, dislocated knee, broken nose, 2 cheek plates (opened my eyes just in time to see my rifle bolt bust into my face), torn rotator cuff and nerve damage to my right arm (my rifle caught above the down log), and severe back pain.
4 days later made if off the island and to an docs where the ball got rolling for my nose to be fixed as I could not breath out of it at all. Never an easy feeling with the nose doc says “whoa” while looking at your nose and then calls another doc in saying “take a look at this!”

Anyhow got that fixed first and was sent to and MRI of pretty much my whole body, not fun for a claustrophobic, large chested person let me tell you. So April 29, 09 went back to docs to be told about rotator cuff and that nothing was seen in my lower back and that it must be nerve damage. So physical therapy, acupuncture and a million back adjustments by the local doc brings you up to two weeks ago…. I got out of a friends car took one step and collapsed to the ground. I could hardly walk my lower back was kicking by behind! We were 100 miles from home with things that needed to get done so I hobbled in and out of the few places we went and then went home.

Three days later after not being able to get up or down much less walk without the help of my husband I went the 100 miles to a new chiropractor. I thought I would just get another adjustment and be fine but this time the Dr asked to see any and all MRI’s that I have had after hearing how I hurt my back. 3 hours later the Dr pops the disk in and in less than 2 seconds says “here is your problem you have two severely herniated discs, the Radiologist even put it in the notes here, look its even tear dropped down.” After calling another Dr in to show him how bad the herniated discs are and talk about the other place that dropped the ball we go over treatment options and some passive resistance adjustments and I could hobble with out assistance!!!

So I am now just waiting for the scheduling to work out and I am L.A. bound for a Non-traumatic discetomy! Talk about how far back surgeries have come I will be an outpatient procedure and will only have a 1/8 of an inch incision, and I even get to be awake! I’m just happy that I don’t have to have the old open surgery where they remove a part of vertebrate and have a 4-6” incision.

My farrier just had disc surgery, he has a "regular" job and was back to work there 2 weeks after, it has been 4 weeks and he just started back doing farrier work yesterday, which of course being a farrier is hard on your back anyway.
Make sure you have a good doctor! My mom has had 2 back surgeries, hers were fusions and much more involved and she spent severfal months each time in a brace.

My mother had it done many years ago... It was rough back then. I'm glad to hear its not so invasive like it used to be. I wish you much luck and speedy recovery.
fl.gif
hugs.gif

Just a little note of warning here, as lovely as the discectomy sounds it seems to be a stop-gap measure for some people and they end up having the fusion surgery sometime afterwards. That's what happened to me. I had the discectomy and was home doing my thing in a couple days. I felt so good and painfree. 'bout a year later I was back and this time there was nothing to do but fuse me. I was pretty mad but I started checking around and there's quite a few people that this happens to. Wishing you all the luck in the world but you might want to ask the doctor about your chances.

This is dealing with back pain after years of pain. I was referred to a pain center they injected along the sides of the spine to chemically kill the nerves. It worked great. Pain free and no meds.

I guess when you cut a nerve it grows back and can be worse. I had tattoo dots placed on the injection sites so if I need to do it myself I know the spot. Ancient Bog man had dot tattoos along spine. I believe this is a new spin on ancient medicine the ancients probably used some sort of venom like a bee or?

If you deal with pain and you have insurance this worked. I really didn't think anything would after 35 years of pain. I just hope it doesn't come back, so far so good.

Thanks all for the information and thoughts. Im excited as silly as it sounds to have this done, not only should I just walk out pain free but I get to watch!! ~~

Farmerlor ~ Im sorry to hear you had to go back for a fusion! At this point I dont want to go that route without trying this first I just had a grew I grew up with had two fused and it didnt go so well and sorta freaked me out. But thank you for the warning one can never hear to many stories and ideas to help make a choice of what to do.

outsidethebox ~ I wish it was just the pain, I can deal with the pain, well most of it as long as I can walk Im good. But the herniated discs are pressing on my cord and making my legs go numb and give out. On a whole nother note I had never even heard of your treatment. I will pass it along to a friend of mine who has a single hernitated disc and no numbness so this would be perfect for him! How long ago was your treatment? If you dont mind me asking that is.

redhen ~ Some still are, even when its called a "micro" surgery it can still be a 3-6 inch cut but as long as they have a microscope in the surgery its called micro. Isnt that SCARY!!

Last edited:
As a 17 y/o on a summer construction job I ruptured (herniated) L3-4 and L5-S1 discs when I lifted improperly. This 17 y/o thought he was bulletproof! After enduring 8 months and a senior football season I had discectomy and spinal fusion done, and felt INSTANT relief of the pain/numbness that went to both feet. I was so pleased and blessed that my surgeon was competent! I recovered and now at 43 am fully active and pain free as I work as a Physical Therapist. Now, I treat people that have had my same surgery but most have not had quite as good results as I had. This is due to many reasons, including age , overall health, mobility, strength and flexibility. Now they have the technology to replace the discs, which was unavailable in 1983 when I was injured. In short, surgery is almost always beneficial, some more than others. I feel it is critical to maximize the benefit of surgical repair that you get intensive rehab over 6-8 weeks, which also includes education of anatomy, causology and prevention of recurrence. This will only help in the longterm. Good Luck in whatever decision you make. I have never regretted my decision!
clap.gif

Quote:
Thanks for the information! I will have and 8 week p.t. speel after I get back to AK. The first three will be in a pool is about all I know so far. As I said before I am excited about getting it fixed, I am looking foward to not have to gaurd my movements soo much. I hope to be under the knife the first few weeks of march
big_smile.png

My husband injured his back on the job and had surgery. That was over 30 years ago and it hasn't troubled him since. I think you are a lot better off to have a neurosurgeon rather than an orthopedic surgeon perform the operation though. I know quite a few men in construction jobs that have had to have back surgery. The ones that used a neurosurgeon are trouble free. The ones that used an orthopedic surgeon have had recurring problems. That may be just coincidence, but I am talking about at least ten men, not one or two. Something to consider.

Good luck.

Dad, Mom and brother (yeah it's genetic) all had multiple back surgeries.

I have no disc between L3-L4 and L4-L5. Everytime someone sees an x-ray they wonder how I am functional. I just can't move wrong or I am out for days or longer.

I just refuse ever to have it operated on.

That's just me.

You'll do great... and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom