Hero Hen

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by FLGardenguy, Jun 15, 2011.

1. FLGardenguy

FLGardenguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2010
    I would'nt believe this story if i had'nt seen it with my own eyes...arrived at the garden at about 8am to find all of the girls in thier coop....odd i thought but oh well...about 10 min. later i finally look in the chicken yard which is completely wired in..i look in the corner and there stands a huge hawk...i could then see where she or he had torn open some wire at the door and gotten in...well as soon as i entered the yard this blonde hen bounds out of the coop and starts attacking this hawk...apparently there had been a scuffle earlier because there were feather stewn about...well this hen would not give up...she jumped on this now poor hawk like there was no tomorrow...it was hilarious..this hawk could do nothing but lay on it's back with its mouth open in freight....i finally got the hawk up and out and that hen screamed her head off for a good hour afterwards....this yard has a rooster but hes a little duccle...that hawk would have probably eaten him....but..one thing is for sure..i don't think that hawk will return....So this little blonde tuff girl is our new hero hen....she got extra time in the compost pile...

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    That's an amazing story! Wow!

3. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    That just proves it. Blondes do have more fun!! [​IMG]

4. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Well let's give that gutsy little girl a round of applause! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Though not as heroic, that reminds me of one time when one of our New Hampshire Red hens jumped on a White Chinese Goose that was about to get my son. I never knew hens would act so protective and to be protective of one of us too, I was amazed. [​IMG]

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Good job Blondie! I guess the hawk loses some advantage when they are on the ground and faced with a fearless hen.

7. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] That is a great story! You may want to give your roo an extra treat or two....I doubt he is feeling very manly right now. [​IMG]

8. FLGardenguy

FLGardenguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2010
    After this i may get a large rooster out there...i have two flocks..one here at the house in the city and one on a lot i bought for a garden and some chickens...i've got 8 girls and one boy but he's so little i thought maybe i should get someone of a larger stature for protection...any thoughts?...

9. Frizzle Farmer

Frizzle Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Calhan, CO
    Uh oh! I always tell people to get a rooster to protect their flocks! She's making a liar out of me:)

10. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Quote:The only issue is that the new big roo doesn't beat on your little fellow. I've heard that bantam roos get along fine with big roos. Sounds like your Blonde hen needs a good manly backup!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by