Hershy's surprise :)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmertank, Apr 16, 2009.

1. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    Hershey brought her little ones out today. She had her nest way up in these rocks. They made a perfect little cave for her and no one and nothing could reach her. Very smart duck! Anyways. I had no idea how many eggs she had or anything, but today she showed up with 11 babies in tow lol.

Then I could hear this really loud peeping and stuck in some old vines near the entrance of the rocks was one more! This one is weak and I put it inside, but here is some pics of Hershey with the 11.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice most of them have yellow tipped wings..so cute!!

Julie

2. They look like little bumble bees! How adorable!

3. Honey1

Honey1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2008
    Michigan
    How cute!!

4. farmertank

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    Quote:[​IMG] I didn't think of that, but they do lol

Julie

5. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    Now that is some definite cuteness!!!!!!!!

6. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

They do look like little bees!!! What kind of ducks are they? What does Daddy look like? Cute little babies. How cool that mom kept them up and out of the way. A dozen babies!! Is that a normal sized clutch? Sorry for all the questions but I'm a new duck owner and this is so fun.

7. farmertank

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    Quote:They are muscovy ducks. Hershey is a chocloate and the father is Black(green in the light) and white. I will get a pic of him tomarrow. Muscovies can have several babies I have one that hatched 26- 2 years ago. That was a 1oo% hatch. Hershey is a first time mother, so 12 is a good number for her [​IMG]. I am interested in there colors when they are full grown. I really want a male chocolate to breed her too. She has been an awsome mother so far. I still have the weak one inside. I'm worried about his leg he seems to want to keep it curled. [​IMG]

Julie

8. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

That is adorable! I love seeing Momma ducks with their babies!! You can see how they just adore her! [​IMG]

9. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I hope the Little one inside is okay. Great pictures! keep us posted.

10. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    What a great mama and adorable little babies!!

The first time I saw muscovy ducks was about 3 years ago. The female came flying out of a large hole in a tree in our local park. I was shocked! I had never seen a duck in a tree first of all and I had never seen a duck like HER before in my life! Then I saw the dad in the pond.

Soon they had little ones join them in the pond. It was a joy to follow them.

Thanks for sharing your little ones with us!

Laurie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by